*9*

"No, I'm sorry. It just hit me how serious this is. How did you wake up?" Y/n said ready to listen to Hyunjin.

"I just did. I woke up, my pod dumped me out, and there I was," Hyunjin told.

"Me too. We have to get help," Y/n said.

COMMAND DECK - COMMUNICATIONS CENTER

Hyunjin and Y/n stand in at a Passenger Communication Station. Hyunjin swipes his card through the Comm Station's slot. It brings up his account information.

"I've sent...sixteen messages to Earth. A bunch to the Homestead company, one to the Space Administration, one to the United Nations. A couple to Homestead II, just for the hell of it. My phone bills about eighty grand," Hyunjin said as Y/n glanced at all the calls he had made.

"How soon could we hear something?" Y/n questioned.

"With speed-of-light lag, fifty-six years. That'll be from Earth. Nothing from Homestead II until we're almost there anyway. Eighty years or so," Y/n's 's mouth goes dry at Hyunjin's words.

"What about the other planets?" Y/n asks.

"The other occupied worlds are even farther away. We'd die of old age before they could answer," Hyunjin sighs.

"What about other ships?" Y/n questions.

"I never thought of other ships," Hyunjin replies, how could he not think of that before. Y/n stifles a laugh.

"Hyunjin, you've had more than a year! There has to be a flight plan or something," Y/n says.

They search the Comm Centre and find a map table showing the Excelsior's position relative to the Occupied Worlds. Y/n fiddles with the controls. Interstellar flight plans appear: a spiderweb of starship tracks between the worlds.

"There!" They inspect the threads of light - an icon on each thread representing a starship. Even Hyunjin is excited now.

"How do we tell how far away they are?" Y/n says.

"The computer knows. Give me a ship," Hyunjin says.

"The starship Zephyr," Y/n said peering at the star map.

"Round-trip message lag...ninety-nine years," Hyunin replies.

"The starship Andromeda,"

"One hundred thirty-two years,"

"The Maximilian,"

"Eighty-one years," Hyunjin and Y/n deflate visibly.

"That's the closest one," Y/n sighs.

GRAND CONCOURSE - EVENING

The ship's lights turn the cool blue of evening. Hyunjin and Y/n walk across the plaza. "I know I should be working fixing the problem right now, but I can barely keep my eyes open," Y/n says yawning and rubbing her eyes.

"You just came out of hibernation. It'll be a couple days before you're a hundred percent. You should rest," Hyunjin says.

"I think I have to," Y/n said.

"I'll walk you to your cabin," Hyunjin offers.

"No, I'm all right," Y/n smiled appreciating the offer. "Hyunjin. Don't look so down. It's going to be okay. You've got me on the team now. Chin up, all right?" Y/n says. Hyunjin nods, speechless. "I'm in cabin ninety forty-eight, if you need me," Y/n says begin to walk away. Hyunjin watches her walk away.

"I'm in the Berlin Suite if you need me," Hyunjin mutter out before she is us of hearing range. She stops. Turns to look back at him.

"A year and a half? Must have been hard," Y/n said giving Hyunjin and sorrowful look.

"It was," Hyunjin sighs.

"Good night, Hyunjin," Y/n smiles again turning on her feet and walking back to her room.

GRAND CONCOURSE - CONCOURSE BAR

Hyunjin sits down at the bar. "Whiskey. Rocks,".

"Sure thing. How's your day been?" Felix asks. Hyunjin takes a stiff drink.

"Y/n's awake," Hyunjin says bluntly.

"Congratulations," Felix smiles, then looks at Hyunjin's face. "You don't look happy," Felix says.

"Felix. Can you keep a secret?" Hyunjin said almost in a whisper.

"Hyunjin I'm not just a bartender I'm a gentleman," Felix said.

"Don't tell Y/n I woke her up. She thinks it was an accident. Let me tell her. Okay?"

Y/N'S CABIN - NIGHT

Y/n sleeps, almost peacefully on her pillow.

BERLIN SUITE - BEDROOM - NIGHT

Hyunjin lies awake, fidgeting and staring at the ceiling.

GRAND CONCOURSE - INFOMAT - MORNING

Y/n talks with a relentlessly cheerful Infomat. She's wearing her own clothes, and it's a transformation: she looks hip and urban, beautiful.

"How can there be no way to put someone into hibernation aboard ship? What if a pod breaks down?" Y/n questions the machine placing her hand on her hip.

"No pod has malfunctioned in thousands of interstellar flights," The informat says in its cheery tone.

"Well, I'm awake" Y/n almost shouts, her arm falling beside her now.

"Hibernation pods are fail-safe," The machine argues back. Hyunjin appears behind Y/n.

"Good morning. Have you eaten?" Hyunjin asks.

"No. I'm starving. This is the dumbest machine," Y/n scoffs as Hyunjin and Y/n make their way to the cafeteria.

CAFETERIA

Hyunjin watches in astonishment as Y/n blithely orders the snacks that the machines deny him. The Mocha Cappuccino Extreme. The French Breakfast Puff. The Gourmet Fruit Salad. They sit. Y/n eyes Hyunjin's tray. "You're a man of simple tastes," Y/n laughs.

"I'm a silver class passenger. The French Breakfast Puff is above my pay grade," Hyunjin smiles.

"Oh, no! All this time? What can I get you?" Y/n ask ready to go and order Hyunjin some decent food.

"No, I'm fine, really," Hyunjin protests.

"

"Shut up. I'll be right back," Y/n says as she gets up. In a minute she's back, setting a tray down in front of Hyunjin: A western omelette with a side of bacon...a cafe latte...half a honeydew melon. Hyunjin shoves his old breakfast aside.

"Thank you," Hyunjin smiles. They dig in.

"You think the crew members would know what to do?" Y/n asks.

"I was hoping so," Hyunjin sighed.