*18*

(Continuous of the last chapter + mentions of self-harm and suicidal thoughts)

A/N The italics are what Y/n is saying in her book

"A challenge equal to our character."

With a snarl, Hyunjin tosses the ring into his mouth. Chases it

with a slug of vodka straight from the bottle. Swallows hard.

SERVICE DECK - CELESTIAL PROMENADE

Y/n stands in front of her easel on the promenade. She looks out the window and begins to paint.

"Something worth doing."

SHOPPING DISTRICT - AVENUE

Hyunjin plays kick-the-can with the empty vodka bottle. Drunk. The bottle clatters against the photo booth. Muttering in Russian, Hyunjin attacks the booth, punching and kicking - and hurts his foot with a shout. He limps away. A moment later he's back - wearing his tool belt. He pulls a laser cutter and starts carving the booth away from the wall.

SHOPPING DISTRICT - LATER

Hyunjin drives his golf cart unsteadily across the deck. A horrible noise echoes throughout the Avalon: he's dragging the photo booth across the floor by its power cord.

STARBOARD E.V.A. ROOM

Hyunjin investigates the airlock through the small porthole in the inner door. Red lights flash. The photo booth is crammed into the airlock. The airlock shoots open. The photo booth tumbles into space.

GRAND CONCOURSE - CONCOURSE BAR - EVENING

Felix does make-work behind the bar. Hyunjin and Y/n approach simultaneously. They meet awkwardly: they haven't spoken in a long time. "What are you doing here?" Y/n questions bluntly.

"You! Tuesday's my day with Felix. You're trespassing," Hyunjin says drunk, the smell of vodka protruding off him.

"Actually, today's Wednesday" Felix says.

"I slept through Tuesday?" Hyunjin questions in a daze, not remembering.

"Forget it. The bar's all yours. But I'd say a drink is the last thing you need. You're pathetic," Y/n says leaving. Hyunjin takes a seat.

"What'll it be?" Felix asked.

"I'm going to kill myself," Hyunjin says.

"Why's that?" Felix questions.

"I'm a murderer."

"Who'd you murder?" Felix says.

"Y/n," Hyunjin says looking up at Felix.

"But she's alive. She was just here," Felix says with a confused tone of voice.

"She won't talk to me. She won't let me tell her what happened. How I fell in love with her. How I want to be with her. And I'm not sorry I woke her up. I'm not. I love her. And you know what? She loves me," Hyunjin says. Around the corner, out of sight, Y/n stands listening.

"What was I supposed to do? I couldn't live without her. It was now or never, and I chose now. I chose now," Hyunjin says slamming his hands on the bar top. "And I was right. But I woke her up, FelixFj. I woke her up, and she says I killed her. And now she's gone. She's gone,' Hyunjin can't feel the tears that are escaping his eyes, he feels to numb to feel anything. Sobbing and looks up at Felix, "Give me another bottle,"

"I think you've had enough," Felix sighs. Hyunjin looks at Felix as if he's said something profound.

"You know what? You're right. I've had enough," Hyunjin admits. He tries to give Felix a smile – failing – as he turns to exit the bar. With each step the Hyunjin takes, his feet fumble.

SUBDECK A - CARGO HOLD - DAY

Hyunjin drives his cart up to a rack of large batteries: they're identical to the battery that powers the golf cart itself. Hyunjin starts loading his cart with extra batteries.

SERVICE DECK - CELESTIAL PROMENADE

Paintings leans against the windows: Y/n's stars capes. The first few are rudimentary, the later ones quite good. She works on a new one: a red nebula. She looks out the window - and her focus changes. She sees her own reflection. Her brush moves across the canvas. She adds the suggestion of a cheekbone...a slender neck...an eye. A face made of stars.

SUBDECK C - MACHINE SHOP

Hyunjin finishes connecting a bank of batteries to his cart's motor: quadrupling the power. He rolls a huge tractor tire up to the cart and bolts it on.

DECK FOUR - SHOPPING DISTRICT

Y/n jogs like she does every day currently. A rumble and wail of rubber behind her. Hyunjin's monster golf cart comes roaring towards her. Y/n leaps for safety as the cart passes. Hyunjin blasts past her with a war whoop and a wave. He wears welding goggles. Y/n looks after Hyunjin in astonishment.

DECK FOUR - SERVICE CORRIDOR

Hyunjin races down a long straightaway. Squeals around a corner. Puts the cart on two wheels as he dodges a cleaning robot. He steers down a stairway: The cart bounces crazily down to the deck below. At the bottom Hyunjin takes the corner too hard. The cart tumbles and slams into the bulkhead. Debris rains down. Hyunjin lies crumpled in the wreckage, his goggles askew.

FORWARD OBSERVATION DECK

Y/n sits in her writing chair, a slate in front of her. But the slate is blank, and her face is tense. "I haven't written in days. I don't know why. It's the old problem, I guess. Who's my reader? Who am I talking to? What's it for?" Y/n takes a deep sigh. "I used to love it,".

SERVICE DECK - INFIRMARY

Hyunjin lies in the autodoc in his underwear - his head protruding, his body visible behind glass. Lasers and sensors pass over his body.

"Two separated ribs. Fracture of the right arm, radius, and ulna. One fractured finger. Dislocated thumb," The Autodoc says.

"Am I gonna be, okay?" Hyunjin akas the machine. Blindingly fast, robot arms straighten Hyunjin's elbow. Wrap his ribs and arm with smooth white bandages. Hyunjin shouts in shock.

The Autodoc speaks," Leave the bandages on for one week," The autodoc opens and Hyunjin climbs out, testing his arm. A bottle of pills rattles into a tray in front of him. "Take one of these pills each day until they are gone,".

"Thanks doc," Hyunjin smiles taking the pills.

"And take better care of yourself,".

THREE MONTHS LATER

FORWARD OBSERVATION DECK - DAY

Y/n paints, wild-eyed and fragile. Her brushstrokes are fierce. She slashes at the canvas. As she paints, she begins to cry, silently. She doesn't stop painting. The easel shakes as she works.

GRAND CONCOURSE

Hyunjin kneels on the Grand Concourse. He's torn a huge hole in the carpet to expose the deck plates beneath. With his laser cutter he cuts a large rectangular hole. Pries the plate up with a crowbar, opening a cavity in the deck.

Y/N'S CABIN

Y/n paces in her bathrobe, hair wrapped in a towel. She looks at her gallery of snapshots. Touches the pictures one by one. The faces begin to move and speak. A cacophony of good wishes. Laughter and cheers. Finally, only one clip still plays. Y/n's mother.

The video of her mother begins to play, Y/n turns the volume up. "I promise you we'll think of you every day. When you wake up, I know we'll be gone...but you just know that we lived our lives remembering you, and holding you in our hearts," Her mother begins to cry. "I don't understand, baby. I'm trying, but I can't believe I'm losing you. I hope you find what you're looking for. I hope it makes you happy," Y/n watches, devastated.