*17*

Hyunjin stares at her, unbelieving. But she means it. He opens the cover panel, points out the key components. "I looked at my pod. A couple different processors burned out at the same time. I triggered the same failure in your pod. Short circuit across these two contacts, and then these two. And cut these wires," Hyunjin says.

"Just like that<' Y/n states.

"Just like that," He repeats.

"I'm so stupid. I fell for all of it. I fell for you. I thought you saved me. But you didn't save me, Hyunjin. You did this to me. And now I'm stuck with you. Stuck with the second-rate mechanic who ruined my life," Y/n says walking away.

"Rate two mechanic<' Hyunjin says lamely, but Y/n's already walking away.

VIENNA SUITE - DAY

Y/n walks in, barely under control, and breaks down. Sinks to her knees, racked by sobs.

HIBERNATION BAY – Y/N'S POD - DAY

Hyunjin sits at the foot of Y/n's hibernation pod, staring into the empty tube.

VIENNA SUITE - EVENING

Hyunjin walks in. All of Y/n's things are gone. Her half of the bed has been made. She's moved out.

DECK THREE - CAFETERIA - MORNING

Y/n sits finishing her breakfast. Hyunjin enters and approaches her table. "Can I talk to you?" Hyunjin asks quietly. Y/n doesn't even say anything, she pushes her chair and breakfast away standing up and walking out.

DECK FOUR - SHOPPING DISTRICT - DAY

Hyunjin walks alone, hands in his pockets, in a deep funk. A little robot crosses his path: he KICKS it down the street.

SWIMMING POOL

Y/n swims. Reaches the end of a lap and rests. She looks up abruptly as if she senses someone watching her - but the balcony above the pool is deserted.

ELITE DECK - FORWARD OBSERVATION DECK - DAY

Y/n sits reading. Digital slates surround her. A whir distracts her. She looks down. Hyunjin's pet robot sits beside her. A note on its back. She picks up the note. It's the photo strip from her first date with Hyunjin: their first kiss captured on film. Clipped to the photo strip is a handwritten note: "This was real." Y/n leans down toward the robot's binocular eyes. She crumbles up the photo strip and says so Hyunjin can hear on the other end of the line, "Watching me through a robot is creepy, Hyunjin. Cut it out.

SUBDECK C - MACHINE SHOP

Hyunjin sits in front of his laptop: Y/n's accusing eyes stare out of the screen. He closes the laptop.

COMMAND DECK - COMMUNICATIONS CENTER - DAY

Hyunjin sits at the security console, dishevelled. Twenty screens give different views of the ship. On screen shows the Elite Promenade. As he watches, Y/n jogs by in sneakers and shorts. Hyunjin has her route mapped: as she vanishes from one screen she appears on the next. He follows her from screen to screen. He picks up a microphone.

ELITE DECK

Y/n circles the atrium. When over the intercom Hyunjin clears his throat. "Y/n,".

Y/n stops in surprise, looking up.

"Please, just hear me out," Hyunjin says his voice cracking. Y/n rolls her eyes and resumes running.

COMMAND DECK - COMMUNICATIONS CENTER

Hyunjin watches Y/n move from screen to screen. He holds the mic in both hands. His voice reverberates through the ship.

"The day I first saw you, my life changed. I couldn't forget your face. I kept coming back to see you. Trying to know you through the glass. I read every word you ever wrote, trying to hear you. The day you woke up," Y/n doesn't break her now fast paced running stride, but she is listening. "When you woke up, I had no idea what would happen next. I had no reason to believe you would see anything in me. When you did, when we found each other, this ship I'm trapped inside suddenly felt like a limitless place. My pointless life suddenly had meaning," Hyunjin pauses look at the monitor Y/n is on as she skids to a stop beside a Deck Steward's station. She leans over the counter, finds an intercom terminal, and grabs the microphone. A whine of feedback. She investigates the lens of the nearest security camera.

"That's great, Hyunjin. Just great. I'm glad that ruining my life somehow improved yours. But I have a run to finish, so," Y/n goes to put the microphone down.

GRAND CONCOURSE - CONCOURSE BAR

Felix looks up, listening, as voices echo through the ship.

"Wait. Y/n. Don't go," Hyunjin says. Y/n swears she can hear his voice crack again, like he is on the verge of tears.

"I don't care anymore Hyunjin, you took my life away from me!" Y/n shouts into the microphone, now she is the one crying, just at the thought of what Hyunjin did.

"I don't want to lose you," Hyunjin cries, into the intercom.

COMMAND DECK - COMMUNICATIONS CENTER

Hyunjin stares at Y/n on the video screen.

"Hyunjin, you lost me the second you woke me up," Y/n says, whipping her tears away. She drops the microphone and walks out of frame. Hyunjin slumps over the console in defeat tears flooding down his face.

THREE MONTHS LATER

VIENNA SUITE - BEDROOM (DAY)

Hyunjin lies asleep on his bed in dirty clothes and shoes.Half-finished dishes in bed with him. The suite is squalid.

ELITE DECK - CAFE MAXINE

The ship's posh French cafe. Y/n eats a fancy lunch, reading a novel on a digital slate. She's groomed and put together.

DECK THREE - CAFETERIA

Hyunjin sits in front of a bowl of breakfast cereal, a dry slice of toast. He stares into space.

FORWARD OBSERVATION DECK

Y/n sits in her writing chair, dictating to her slate. "It's the modern way of life. We surround ourselves with people. A constant din of conversation. As if we need the mirror of other faces to see ourselves. The clamour of voices in our ears to reassure us that we exist. Do we need it? Can we live without it?"

VIENNA SUITE - DAY

The TV blares. Hyunjin lies asleep in an armchair, covered with snack chips.

"I think the secret to survival is productive activity."

SHOPING DISTRICT - CRAFT SHOP - DAY

Y/n investigates the craft shop's shelves. Collects an electronic book on painting. Paints and canvasses. An easel.

"We need to be good for something."

VIENNA SUITE - BATHROOM - DAY

Hyunjin lounges in the bathtub in his bathrobe: soaking wet and drunk. Gold glitters in his hand: the RING he made for Y/n. He scowls at the ring.