*20*

The computer consoles of the Bridge brighten as they enter. Chan walks from station to station, studying the screens. "We're on course.... Whatever's wrong with the ship, NavComp's still minding the store,"

"What do you think is wrong?" Hyunjin questions.

"Three pod failures. Something's wrong. Question is what," Chan says, he turns to leave.

"Wait. What about diverting the ship? Can we go back to Earth?" Y/n ask, Chan almost laughs.

"We're going forty percent of lightspeed away from Earth. To go home we'd have to come to a stop, accelerate back towards Earth, and then come to a stop again. It'd take as long as going on to Homestead II. Anyway, navigation's not for amateurs. Space is a big place, and a planet's just a little thing," Chan stops and breaks out into a coughing fit. Wipes his mouth with his fist. "Let's go next door. See how the old girl's doing,".

DIAGNOSTIC CENTER

Chan opens a secure compartment beside the bridge. Inside, the Diagnostic Computer stands dark and dead.

"I thought we'd see a lot of red lights here. That would mean trouble," Chan says.

"So, everything's okay?" Y/n questions.

"No, if everything was okay, we'd see a lot of green lights here,"

"What does no lights mean?" Y/n asked.

"No lights mean big trouble. Diagnostic Computer's down. We've got some work to do," Chan says.

"What do you need?" Hyunjin asks, ready to assist.

"Right now? A Cheeseburger," Chan smiles.

ELITE DECK - STARDUST DINER

Chan eats a cheeseburger. Hyunjin and Y/n sit across from him. With his mouth full Chan speaks, "Never been so hungry. Worst hibernation hangover ever,". Hyunjin can't take his eyes off Chan . A new person.

"So, where you from, Chan?" Hyunjin asks.

"Grew up in Australia. But I've lived on this ship a long time, I started work here when I was a teenager and learnt everything on the job. The Avalon's made five inter-planetary runs, and I've been on everyone. I live aboard. When she makes port, I live where she lands until she lifts again,".

Hyunjin trying to do the math, "How old does that make up?".

"Well I've technically been alive for twenty- four years excluding hibernation, making me twenty-four but I've been alive and in and out of hibernation for around four hundred years all up, so I guess I'm four hundred, and boy do I feel it," Chan smiles, finishes his burger, coughing again.

"You should rest," Y/n says.

"I think I will," Chan says as he climbs to his feet. "Tomorrow morning, eight bells, you meet me beside that tree of yours. Until I figure out what's wrong with the Avalon, you work for me," Chan says, Hyunjin and Y/n smiles.

"Yes, sir," Hyunjin says.

"Good night, Chan, Y/n smiles. Chan waves and walks off. That leaves Hyunjin and Y/n sitting awkwardly on the same side of a diner booth. After a moment Y/n moves over to the other side. Looks at Hyunjin across the table. "Four hundred years old!" Y/n exclaims.

"I've missed you," Hyunjin suddenly says, Y/n stares, caught off guard. She gets up.

"See you in the morning," Y/n says walking away, giving Hyunjin a half-hearted smile.

COMMAND DECK - DIAGNOSTIC CENTER - MORNING

Chan and Hyunjin examine the Diagnostic Computer. Hyunjin holds a flashlight while Chan pokes around with a voltmeter inside. Behind them, Y/n stands watching with a digital slate.

"The CPU's burned out, can you believe it? Why should that happen? It's rated for five hundred years," Chan frowns.

"Can you fix it?" Y/n asks.

"You don't fix it, you replace it. There are spares for everything in storage. Make a note. Diagnostic Computer CPU. And a new cooling fan, this one looks shot," Chan says.

"Got it," Y/n says making a mental note.

GRAND CONCOURSE

Chan and Y/n stand waiting as if for a bus. "Don't take this the wrong way – I wish for your sake you were still asleep - but I'm glad you're here," Y/n smiles.

"Thank you, sweetheart," Chan smiles placing his hand on Y/n's shoulder. A growl of gears echoes, Hyunjin drives up in his souped-up golf cart.

"What's this?" Chan asks confused.

"The golf cart," Hyunjin says with a smile. Chan takes in the bank of batteries, the giant tractor wheels.

"This I like," Chan chuckles at Hyunjin's work on the golf cart, causing the three people to laugh at little.

SUBDECK A - NUMBER TEN CARGO BAY

Hyunjin pilots the cart through the stacks. Y/n rides shotgun. Chan, in the back seat, plays a flashlight over the stacks.

"Next bay is the ship's stores. So how fast can she go?" Chan questions referring to the new and improved golf cart. Hyunjin puts the pedal down. The cart lays rubber on the deck plates and shoots down the aisle while Y/n and Chan yell.

SHIP'S STORES

Up on a hydraulic lift, Chan digs components out of storage. Hands them to Y/n, who hands them to Hyunjin, who loads them into the cart.

DIAGNOSTIC CENTER

Chan works on the Diagnostic Computer while Hyunjin looks on. Nearby, Y/n thumbs through Chan's technical manuals. Chan clamps a final component in place and nods at Hyunjin.

"Start 'er up,' Chan says. Hyunjin closes a circuit breaker and powers up the computer. A deep electrical hum sounds as the machine boots up. The screen flashes a message: RUNNING VESSEL DIAGNOSTIC. A progress bar shows that the diagnostic is 0.0% complete. The lights on the indicator panel remain dark. The first light begins to flicker as the diagnostic runs.

"How long will it take?" Hyunjin asks.

"Full diagnostic from a cold start? Days. But it'll tell us everything," Chan sighs.

GRAND CONCOURSE

Chan strolls through the ship, looking around nostalgically. He passes Hyunjin's garden and shakes his head.

CONCOURSE BAR

Chan walks up to the bar." Chief Bang! Good to see you," Felix smiles.

"Good to see you too, Felix," Chan smiles.

"What can I get you?" Felix questions.

"Just an ice water with a little lemon. I feel hot as hell, "Chan says, Felix makes Chan's drink. Chan mops sweat from his brow and sips his water. His hand trembles hard enough to rattle the ice cubes.