Chapter 11- She

You came out of nowhere
And you cut through all the noise
I make sense to the madness
When I listen to your voice
Darling, only you can ease my mind
- Ease My Mind • Ben Platt

•  -  -  •

𝙳𝙰𝚈 𝟼
𝚃𝚑𝚞𝚛𝚜𝚍𝚊𝚢 𝟸𝟻𝚝𝚑 𝙽𝚘𝚟𝚎𝚖𝚋𝚎𝚛

It was early into the hours of the morning when the entire mood of camp changed. Richard was gone, and nothing would be the same again.

Henry had been the first to wake up when he first took ill, and stayed by his side until the producers collected him. However, when the rest of camp all solemnly went back to sleep, she could not. Despite being so tired, with droopy eyes, she couldn't help but stay awake.

Her night had been so good, so why was the morning so bad?

It was so dark, and so cold. Henry couldn't move. She felt frozen to the outdoor wooden chairs as the wind blew in her face. The fire was roaring, but provided little comfort. It was just her, alone, with her thoughts.

What a dangerous thing to do.

Alone, in a place so far from home, so far from family, and friends, and comfort: alone. The world has abandoned her, or had she abandoned the world?

The first tear fell from her eyes.

She must've been so embarrassing for her family, so disappointing. This was a stupid idea.

Henry wasn't good enough to be there, she knew that. Of course she knew that. She wasn't good enough to look after her brother, be liked by Matty, be there instead of Richard. She wasn't good enough to cook in the castle, or provide enough, or offer entertainment. Henry wasn't good enough, and she knew it.

Oh God, she missed home. She missed it all. Most of all, she missed Freddie. Sweet, little brother, Freddie who had always believed in her. The only person, bar one, who had ever given her full faith. The only person, bar one. That one was Richie, her eldest brother, the one who'd raised her. She missed home.

"Hey," she heard the soothing voice of Arlene step closer. "Are you alright?"

Henry sniffed, wiping away her tears swiftly. "Yeah, I'm all good, thanks."

"No you're not." The older lady told her and she nodded.

"Yeah, you're right."

"What's happened? Is it Richard?"

"Yes," Henry admitted. "Partially. Yes, yes and no."

"Do you miss your family?" She says beside the young woman, and smiled softly.

"Immensely. My little brother the most."

"Freddie?" Henry had mentioned him quite a lot, she was just so proud of him.

——— ——— ———

"So, I had a wobble this morning. It wasn't fun, I'll say that." Henry said in the Confession, her face still a little puffy from crying. "But Arlene, she's so lovely. She's the reason I'm alright. She talked me out of feeling so shit." She laughed. "I love Arlene."