nine » books and their covers

"See you later, Yuna," Namjoon communicated, inclined to leave

"Oh wait!" she exclaimed, making him halt and look at her, "You're coming to tutor Ara, right?" 

Namjoon nodded, "Yes, I'm heading over to your place."

"Do you mind if we go home together? I'm walking today and I hate walking alone," she spoke. 

"Sure!" Namjoon replied, "Yes. Having company doesn't sound bad at all. Could you just wait for a minute? I need to get my bike."

"No issues. I'll accompany you," she said, giving him a light smile. 

Leading her outside the facility to the parking area assigned for bicycles, he silently took the lock off his baby blue bike. He hung his helmet on the handle of his bike and they started walking toward Yuna's house.

Both Yuna and Namjoon were silently walking side to side, not uttering a single word. There was a weird tension in the air. Some sort of awkwardness. Maybe awkwardness like it is between strangers, Namjoon thought. They weren't strangers exactly, but they weren't familiar with each other either.

Namjoon gazed at the girl beside him. She wasn't exceptionally pretty. Not very fair like most East Asians, but not too dark either. With a crucial gaze, he was studying every feature of hers. She had almond-shaped eyes with a mixture of green and brown. Hazel? Some shade like that. Her nose was too high for his liking. Very elongated too. A splash of freckles on her nose bridge. Little chubby cheeks. Thin, almost negligible lips.

And the most vital part. She was short, definitely shorter than the average height, and most definitely shorter than Namjoon. Around 5 feet maybe? She was wearing fitted classic blue jeans with sneakers and an oversized black zipper jacket with a tee underneath, the oversized jacket making her look even shorter than she already was. Little fingertips were visible from the jacket paws.

Again, there wasn't something incredibly captivating about her. Just a girl next door. Undoubtedly his Arin was prettier. His. He wanted to giggle at the thought of the girl he adored from afar for two years.

Namjoon realized he had been staring at her for quite some time. Clearing his throat, he thought of starting a conversation with her, to get rid of the awkwardness.

"So, Yuna, mind telling me something about you?" He awkwardly scratched the back of his neck, not knowing how to start the conversation.

"Sure. Tell me, what do you wanna know?"

"Uh... How are your grandparents?"

"They're great. Both of them have gone on a trip to grandpa's brother's place in Gwangju, so both Ara and I are alone here."

"That's nice." He said, again at a loss of words [it's more like the author is at a loss of words right now], "Oh. I wanted to ask this for a long time, but I don't want to offend you or anything," he started.

"Oh no, please go ahead. I won't mind at all," she said, encouraging him to speak.

"Well, I don't know how to put this but you don't look Asian, and you put your name before your surname. I remember you telling me about moving to Korea last year. Did you move here for studies?"

"Yes.  Well, I'm half Korean, and so is Ara, and we used to move a lot due to our dad's business. We were born in Australia, and our mom is a Filipina, but after that, we've been moving a lot due to their business. Finally, we decided that Ara and I should complete our education in one country, so coming and staying with our grandparents was the only option," she explained. "What about you?"

"Well, Mother and Father are in Japan busy with business too, so I live with my older brother." 

"Having an older sibling must be nice. Older siblings are so cool," Yuna said, thinking how she was way cooler than Ara. 

"No, older siblings are just like parents. Youngers are way cool and fun," Namjoon replied, obviously thinking how he was dope compared to Seokjin. 

Both of them kept talking and talking, not realizing how the time flew by. They finally reached their destination, but secretly neither one wanted to stop talking. Surprising enough for Namjoon, Yuna was quite a nice person to have a conversation with. She understood what he expressed, and gave in her thoughts too, which was always amusing considering the fact that he learned more about her personality and her thinking capability. It was interesting to have an intellectually intriguing conversation with someone in a similar field to his.

↷↷↷↷↷↷↷

author's note: 

*evil laughter intensifies*

Bet none of you saw that coming. Tell me your thoughts!