Jennie - 7

I berate myself during the whole ride. Being unprepared is a whole new ordeal for Wilson. He is the type of guy who has a million backup plans should something go wrong. So it is understandable why I'm feeling so worked up over something so trivial as a sleepover.

I jangle the keys as we make our way to the hall. "So, what do you want to do?" I ask her.

Jennie hums. "It's been a while since I watched a movie. Can we watch one?" She's already making her way to the kitchen, probably to get the popcorn ready.

I instantly agree. What can a harmless movie do? It's not like the movie is going to stop me from getting into her pants tonight. "Tsk tsk tsk, host. I hate living in your brain." The System speaks for the first time in a while. "Shut the fuck up, System. I never invited you to live in my super sexy brain."

The System dares to make puking noises. I ignore it. Fuck the System. I have more than enough to focus on.

Like a harmless movie. And getting into my girlfriend's pants.

....

....

....

Wrong. Movies are not harmless. I underestimated the power of movies as Jennie blows her nose into another tissue.

Yes. we are watching 'The Fault In Our Stars'. Yes. Jennie is crying her eyes out over some sick guy called August. Yes. the atmosphere is melancholic. And yes. I'm definitely not getting into her pants tonight.

I subtly google 'How to comfort a crying girl' on my phone. Reading through the steps, I puff out a breath. Come on, Will. You can do this. You are not a pussy.

I reach out my arm around her, slowly encroaching her personal space, unnoticed I hope. Before I can place my hand over her shoulders, Jennie leans into me, face buried into my chest. I feel the blood rush to my face and neck. This feeling... I missed this feeling from the time I left Julia. The feeling of being someone's support. Yes, that protective feeling.

The rest of my actions came naturally as I engulfed her in a warm hug, pulling her close and cradling her. "Hey, hey. Don't cry, babe. You know it's just a movie, right?" I try coaxing her. But guess I chose the wrong words.

Because I'm rewarded with a weak punch to my chest as Jennie struggles to pull away. I pout, not letting her go. I am comfy, dammit. why does she want to pull away already?

"How dare you! They are real! How dare you say that it's just a movie? You-" she hiccups, "You haven't even read the book, did you? You don't know shit then." She's on a roll as she cusses me out. All for some random book.

I sigh, not letting her moodiness affect me. I cup her cheek with one palm and keep her snug against me with the other. Her tears pain me. And I brush one stray tear on her cheek with my thumb. "Calm down, baby. Wherever they are, they must be happy. Isn't that what we should hope for? Instead of crying like this?"

Her hiccuping slows down and I can feel her relaxing in my embrace. I thank my fucking stars for not having a fault tonight. And we watch the entire movie like that, huddled up together with a blanket thrown over us.

***

I'm groaning as I wake up to an alarm. The tone is unfamiliar and annoying. I try sitting up, but there's a weight pressing down on my chest. Opening my eyes, I look down to see Jennie splayed out over me, drooling onto my chest. I stifle a laugh as I get my phone that is buried beneath me. Click! I click a quick photograph of her for blackmail material.

I want to click some more but the incessant ringing wakes her.

She sits up, groaning. Her hands lift in a stretch that looks oh so satisfying. Her hair is ruffled and messy. There's a slight drool mark on her cheek. The shirt lifts with her stretch to flash me a teasing peek of her smooth stomach.