Chapter 23

(Lily's pov)

I sighed as I finished the last piece of homework that we had and I looked across at Marlene and Dorcas who were playing Exploding Snap. "You okay Lily?" Alice asked from beside me and I looked at her. "Yeah, I'm just hoping that Freya's okay. She spent all of today by herself, and I know she had Care of Magical Creatures this afternoon, but Mary was free this morning, so they could have been together. I just want to make sure that she feels welcome." I said, expressing my feelings.

"I'm sure she does Lily, she's been through a lot in the past week, just give her some time." Dorcas said as Marlene complained that she had lost again. I nodded at the girls' words. Around half an hour later the boys walked in and people started coming back from dinner. We had collectively decided not to go and had just conjured some here.

To my annoyance the boys came over and sat around us, making me groan. I would honestly do anything to get away from Potter, he was so annoying, I really didn't understand why Remus was still friends with those idiots, he was so much better than them.

"Did any of you see Freya at dinner?" Mary asked, and I looked over to them, wanting to know the answer. "Yeah, she sat next to me, but came back up here quite a while ago." Remus said, before leaning over and whispering something to Pettigrew.

"I think we should all go up to bed." I said, looking up at the clock. The girls agreed with me, and we all packed up. I grabbed a few of my books and was about to head up to my room when someone grabbed my arm. I turned around to see that it was Remus. "Hey, don't forget that we have prefect duty tonight." He said, making me sigh, I had forgotten about that.

I nodded and followed the girls up to the dorm. I placed all my stuff down and read a muggle book until it was time for me to start my prefect duty with Remus. I bid the others goodnight and looked at Freya's closed curtains before going down to the Common Room.

I greeted Remus and we left the Common Room, starting our patrol. We wandered around for a short while, finding nothing, before Remus said that we should start to head back to the Common Room. I started walking back, and realised that Remus wasn't following me so I looked back.

"I think that I should go and check the astronomy tower, I can go by myself, I'll only be there a short while, and you look really tired Lily." He said, making me nod. I hated having a prefect duty in the middle of the week, it messed up my sleep schedule. So I said goodnight to Remus and went back to the Common Room.

(Remus pov)

I started up the many stairs to the Astronomy Tower. I knew that there wouldn't be a lesson today because it was quite cloudy, so Professor Sinstra would have cancelled it. As I made it to the top of the tower I heard sobbing coming from somewhere, so I snuck a peak up there and noticed a small body curled up near the edge, an owl resting on the floor next to her.

I could tell it was a girl because of the long ginger hair that fell over her shoulders and down her back. I started to move closer, knowing that if any Professor were to come up here she would be in a lot of trouble, even if she was upset. "Hello." I said cautiously, not wanting to scare them, but they heard me as their head whipped around, noticing that I was there.

My eyes widened as I realised that it was Freya. She immediately started to wipe her eyes and she stood up. "I-I know, I-I'm not supp-posed to be up here, b-but..." She started but I stopped her. "It's okay, I won't tell anyone." I said, not wanting her to get in trouble on her first week here.

"Are you okay?" I asked, moving closer to her and placing a hand on her shoulder. "Just nightmares." She replied, her voice void of any emotion. She sighed and looked out at Hogwarts. "Is there anything I can do?" I asked, really hoping that there was something I could do to make her feel better.