Chapter 52: Stepping Up

A/N: This important chapter is mainly about Lauren's relationship with Cruz and who she chooses to be as a parent. Your assumptions about Camila are most likely right if you've been paying attention. Just don't jump the gun predicting the end of the story.

***

Brickell, Miami FL
Late December, 2032

Renovations and expansion was happening in the Jauregui Property Trust headquarter building; floors were being opened up for other companies on the lower floors, the sectors belonging to JPT moved up and moved in to shared spaces, new equipment and employees came in and rearranged whatever was old. Since it was Winter vacation, Lauren had the luxury of coming in and out of the office whenever she pleased, for however long she pleased. Because of her consistent presence, everything transformed including the dynamics on the fifteenth floor and her authority as well as Chris and Cruz's. There were added benefits per employee, bigger break rooms with higher quality foods and hot/cold beverages, more comfortable furniture in the lounge spaces, hired specialists to come in and support the positive growth and results Lauren wanted to achieve. But there was a catch...

Lauren took the liberty of being meaner, stricter, less forgiving, more withdrawn in helping the employees of different sectors with their day-to-day tasks, and increasing her power. She unconsciously developed this personality that reminded the veteran workers more of Clara than Mike. The gruesome reality of being tied to corporate for so long, to the money with genetic codes added to the mix; who Lauren was becoming in this world was the very people she rebelled against when she was younger. And if there were even shreds of moments where self awareness dropped in for a visit, she dismissed the ugliness as something normal she had to adapt to and acknowledged her youth as naivety. No, Lauren wasn't all bad nor did it mean she was no longer unique in plenty ways, it just meant she should be careful and keep in mind the script she was creating for herself that'd be remembered when she'd die and whenever Cruz stepped into the shoes she left behind for him.

Now, gradually becoming the smarter and upgraded version of Clara in her workplace wasn't a bad thing Lauren initially believed it'd be. Seems like that's what was always bound to happen with everything she did in her life—denying it manifested in terrible ways but accepting it and tweaking it did her some good. But when it all came down to Cruz? Absolutely unacceptable. Cruz was her own, she'd set an example. She couldn't treat him the way she has been any longer. One could take all of the money and real estate away from her, they could strip her bare and leave her with nothing and that'd be fine, she'd adapt. Taking away her relationship built on trust, love, safety and respect with any of her children wasn't like that.

Since Christmas Eve she hasn't been able to sleep a full night or go through the motions of her day without Cruz's surprise cocaine habit on the front of her mind torturing her. He hasn't spoken to her despite her many futile attempts. He dodged answering any personal questions and avoided Lauren's presence every opportunity he got. She didn't know if he was using or buying, she could hire a private investigator and have Cruz followed or have anyone she paid to dig into his personal affairs but, again, that was her child. It felt wrong to do so. There had to be a better way to repair their relationship, Lauren was determined on accessing it.

"Mrs. Jauregui, I have those analysis reports you asked for. Where should I—"

"Put them on my desk, thank you," Lauren breezed past her secretary on her way out her office. She drank the last bit of her lemon tea before tossing the paper cup into the nearest trash by the cubicles lined up near her door. Lauren monitored the activity of her employees while also searching for Cruz, as he could usually be found chatting up a project team. Luckily she caught him on his way out to the elevator. "Cruz! Wait up!"