Chapter 9: Camping Trip (part two)

A/N: Play Ships In The Night by Mick Flannery if you're curious bout what James is singing. The song Lauren sings to Blaire in the flashback is called "My Baby You" by Marc Anthony in case you're curious. Enjoy.

***

Blaire wasn't exactly planned, she kind of just happened. Lauren wanted her and ended up convincing Camila that it was a great idea. The need to have her own little girl stemmed from watching Camila carry and give birth to Catalina, then all the times she's spent at home with Catalina while Camila worked. Lauren adored babies. She never thought she would to this extent, but she did. And the bond that Catalina had to Camila made her envious of it. Honestly, they were already back in a good enough place to take it there. Cruz was out opening for Nate's band, there was more room in the house, and the couple agreed that starting a bigger family was a mutual dream of theirs—a dream they strived to make come true.

The entire term was absolute hell—Lauren almost regretted being the one to get pregnant. Camila's pregnancy was nothing compared to Lauren's; Lauren was an absolute monster and scared off her peers and those she considered family, working at the office created an uncomfortable environment, and many nights were sleepless and clouded with depression. But when she pushed out the tiny green eyed girl and beared the excruciating pain of her womb being torn open...when Lauren held her in her arms for the first time...all of it was completely worth it. Hell, she'd do it all again if the opportunity was presented to her. This baby who happened to be shades darker than her and Camila, had a set of curlier hair, and was reluctant to opening her eyes because the world terrified her—this baby who clung tightly to Lauren and wouldn't stop crying unless she was glued to her chest...she became Lauren's whole world in a matter of seconds. Lauren fell in love with Blaire maybe even more than she did with Camila or Catalina.

At nights sometimes, after Camila had fallen asleep and Lauren read Catalina to sleep, she would take her daughter out of their bedroom to sit in the nursery next door—where her acoustic guitar stood by the crib—and Lauren would sing to her. Either she'd cradle Blaire in her arms or she'd place her in the crib and play the guitar to soothe the baby's panic and distress.

"As I look into your eyes, I see all the reasons why my life's worth a thousand skies. You're the simplest love I've known...and the purest one I'll own. Know you'll never be alone," Lauren sang in a hushed voice to her, carrying the baby in her arms this time. She swayed side to side, walking around the small space; the warm temperature and glow from the brown luminaries setting the mood to assist the both of them in falling asleep.

Lauren used her index finger to caress Blaire's smooth cheek, dropping down to her lips and chin, then to tuck in the yellow blankie comfortably by her neck. Blaire's green eyes danced around the room in a sloppy waltz but kept returning home to Lauren's. She followed the sound of her mother's voice and made little noises in response.

"My baby you..." the woman whispered faintly. She smiled, eyebrows slanting upwards to convey far more stronger emotions than her voice could. How she felt in this moment was all in her face but Blaire couldn't exactly see it so clearly. "...Are the reason I could fly. And because of you, I don't have to wonder why. Baby, you. There's no more just getting by. You're the reason I feel so alive."

Lauren sighed while shutting her eyes. She leaned her forehead against Blaire's and inhaled the scent of baby lotion and the snuggle detergent lingering on the blankie. The mother continued to hum, pressing delicate tiny kisses all over her daughter's warm face.

"I will soothe you if you fall, I'll be right there if you call. You're my greatest love of all," she took a seat down on the rocking chair and rocked, still singing with brief pauses in between. Blaire loved it whenever she was being rocked. The fastest way to get her to sleep blissfully was to be swaddled and in the arms of Lauren or Camila while they were in a rocking chair. "You are the reason I could fly. And 'cause of you, I don't have to wonder why. My baby, you...there's no more just getting by. 'Cause you're the reason I feel so alive. Hmmmm, hmmmm. Sooo alive."