Chapter 38: Falling Into A New Forever

Reception visual:

4:50pm - Cypress Grove Estate House, Orlando FL

Finalising the decorations for the reception party didn't quite go as planned—according to Camila. She intended on making conversation, preferably light hearted with some laughter or witty remarks thrown into the mix, perhaps they'd descend into a deep topic and familiarise themselves with each other's minds again. Lauren wanted that too...but Camila planted a large seed of doubt that turned Lauren's world upside down. Lauren was under the impression that her wife had made a decision and came bearing bad news, but wanted to have fun with her one last time first before she put it all out in the open. Yeah, not happening. She couldn't enjoy herself with Camila while paranoid.

"Let's not ruin this day by getting serious too soon" was all Camila needed to say to convince Lauren this was the case.

So they hung up the lanterns, straightened out the tables and chairs and put out the food in silence (for the most part). Lauren found an excuse to call on Reece or Kehlani to help or stick around and chat, asked anyone else to fill in for her while she took a break to take care of other duties and get the fairly big number of guests accommodated. Camila tried introducing different topics or talked about how great it felt to be back in Florida with friends and family but Lauren was always quick to put an end to it.

"Okay, this is ridiculous," grumbled Camila. Her hands fell to her hips and all her weight shifted to one foot. Lauren's eyes averted to meet hers upon the abrupt halt of putting out the trays of food on the table. "You wanna tell me what's changed? I thought this was supposed to be fun."

"Me too. But you kinda ruined it before it even began by hinting that you have bad news about us waiting for me at the end of the night," Lauren wandered away from the table to search for their kids.

Camila went after her, lightly running to catch up so they could walk side by side. "What are you talking about? Who said I had bad news?"

"You implied you did."

"No I didn't. If you're referring to what I said earlier, I meant I don't see the point in getting all emotional with a very heavy conversation this early in the day. I want us to focus on the wedding and hold off on us for a little while longer, it doesn't matter if I have good news or not."

"You're driving me crazy, Camila," Lauren huffed.

"Good. Think you can try to have fun with it?" Camila kinked a brow. She pushed Lauren even further. "I mean if you don't love it now, it'd be a shame if you wanted to continue spending the rest of your life with me, no?" Lauren stopped in her tracks and turned her body to face hers. Camila smirked and crossed her arms. "Driving people crazy is what I do best, you especially."

"Are you saying..."

"Will you just sit down with me and tell me about your life while I've been away and let me do the same?" she temporarily moved in closer to Lauren to let some people walk by, certain that she and her wife were in everybody's way. "Please? There's no harm in that, only in you refusing to do so. Think about it."