Chapter XXIII

"Girl you're not wasting any time are you ?" Melanie chuckled while removing the hard hat from her head

"Not at all. This is the distraction I needed to keep those thoughts away you know" I replied taking mine off as well

"If this is helping you then by all means Vix do it. But don't bury yourself into trying to finish this so soon. You know once you start taking on clients again you might get a case similar to what you went through" Melanie expressed as she exited the firm

Melanie and I were meeting for coffee near the new firm and I wanted her to get a peek of what was going on. With the connections I made at K&L Gates I was able to get a construction team in within twenty four hours to start the remodeling process of the building. Granted it might have been a little too premature but I couldn't sit idle anymore. I needed to something to preoccupy my mind. And although therapy helped when I was alone my mind was my own enemy.

"I promise I'm not. I'm working on myself especially with Adrian. I've pushed him away enough and I'm not trying to do that with any of you anymore" I assured Melanie

Linking her arm with me Melanie rested her head on my shoulder as she gave me a smile. As we walked into the warm coffee shop, the smell of hot chocolate filled my nose. Getting in line with Melanie, my phone vibrated loudly in my purse.

"Mel let me take this call it might be the head contractor. Get me a hot chocolate and a banana nut muffin" I said reaching into my purse.

Stepping out of line I retrieved my phone from my purse. Looking at the screen it was an unfamiliar number. Debating on if I wanted to answer the call, I reluctantly I tapped on the green circle and placed the phone to my ear.

"Vixen Parker" I said stepping out of the cafe

"Vix..it's Kaiden. Don't hang up, I really need to talk to you" Kaiden said in a whispered tone

"What the hell do you need to speak to me about Kaiden ? We haven't spoke in months so please don't give me any bullshit" I said rolling my eyes

I wish I never even picked up the phone. Kaiden and I haven't spoke since he seen Adrian at my house that one night. That has been over four months ago. What could he possibly want now ? Rolling my eyes I looked into the cafe. Melanie had gotten our things and had found a table. Not wanting to cut into my time with her I needed to get Kaiden off the phone.

"I just need to say it in person" Kaiden replied

"Meet me at Grant Park in two hours Kaiden, I'm giving you ten minutes to say what you have to say before I leave" I said ending the call.

Exhaling I slipped my phone into my purse I entered the cafe. Going over to the table Melanie was sitting I sat down across from her. Crossing my right leg over my left I picked up the heated glass mug and brought the hot chocolate to my lips. Taking a few careful sips I licked the whipped cream from my lips.

"Everything okay ?" Melanie asked as she took a sip of her coffee

"Kaiden called me" I said simply shaking my head "he said he needed to talk to me about something"

"Girl that's some bullshit. It's been what ? Three, four months since you last seen him. What could he possibly want" Melanie questioned