Chapter I | Vixen

Turning my chair around and stared out of my office window. I watched as the people below scattered around, looking like ants from my view in the twenty-five story building my office was located in. I let out a sigh and turned back around to face my desk. Today has been a very hectic day, consisting of nothing but numerous business meetings and conference calls. Don't get me wrong I loved my job as Partner at K&L Gates. But there are days that are very tedious but hey I guess it's just something I have to get used to. I let out another sigh when I heard a knock at my office door, feeling exhausted I just wanted this day to be far from over.

Clearing my throat I spoke loud enough "Come in" pulling my chair closer to my desk I took a sip of the lukewarm coffee I honestly forgot was there

As the door crept opened my assistant Melanie poked her head in and gave me a smile. She came fully inside of my office and closed the door behind her. Melanie with her usual over the top self strutted to my desk as if she was walking down a cat walk. Smoothing out the teal pencil skirt that hugged her hips she sat down in front of me. Crossing her legs she waved her foot up and down showing off her new pair of Gucci pumps.

"You like ?" She asked in a high pitched tone a giggle following behind her words

"Yes I like. But what is the real reason why you came in here" I asked looking over my laptop giving her a raised brow. Melanie would usually call me over the intercom but if it was something important or tea she had to spill she made it her mission to step inside the office.

"There's a handsome gentleman outside that's here for the open position" Melanie said raising up from her seat "and I must add he is gorgeous Vixen"

As tired as I was I wanted to give her the straightest face I could but I couldn't help but crack a cheeky smile at her. Sitting up in the leather office chair I motioned for her to let him inside of my office. Melanie shot me a look before exiting. Moments later she entered into my office with a tall, slim yet muscular male behind her. Giving him a once over I took the time to take in his features. And I couldn't lie he was quite handsome. His skin was a beautiful butterscotch complexion, his lips were full and his face was sculpted almost perfectly.

"Ms. Parker, this is Adrian Murphy. He will be interviewing for the position of junior partner" Melanie announced handing me an iPad that had Adrian file on the screen

Taking the device from her I placed it on my desk before standing to my feet. Extending my hand to Adrian I spoke "Hi Adrian, it nice to meet you. Please have a seat" I instructed as Melanie exited my office.

Adrian's large hand engulfed mine as he shook my hand. Call it cliche but I felt a spark ignite as we allowed our hands to part slowly. I shook away the feeling being that I had multiple reasons why. Clearing my throat I took my seat along with Adrian.

Lowering my eyes to the bright iPad screen I read over Adrian's resume. I must say I was very impressed. From his school background as well as his work experience.

"I see you went to Harvard Law School" I said looking up from the device only to meet his chocolate brown orbs. A hearty chuckle fell from his lips as he took his own turn studying my face.

"I get that a lot. I started at Howard first to do my bachelors and also so that I can pledge Kappa" Adrian explained as he shifted into a better position in his seat.

"That's amazing and your resume really does speak very well for you" I started as I placed the iPad back on my desk. "Well as you know the position is for junior partner. You would be working closely with me and a few other lawyers in the firm. From your resume you're the perfect candidate for the job. Welcome to the firm" I announced as a bright smile curled on my lips

"Word" he started but quickly cleared his throat "Great thank you for the opportunity Ms. Parker" Adrian said as he took my hand into his once more.

As we shook hands something came into my view. I noticed that his hand was heavily tattooed, with me being younger I didn't find an issue with it. I had some of my very own. I guess Adrian must have noticed my staring because seconds later his voice was filling my ears.

"Are my tattoos going to be a problem?" He asked with a hint of concern in his voice

"No in my eyes it wouldn't be" I said honestly "Well you start bright and early Monday morning at eight" I said deciding to change the topic

"I'll be here at seven forty five with coffee" He said with a chuckle "thank you once again Ms. Parker" he said expressions his gratitude once more

"It's no problem and please call me Vixen. We're colleagues now" I responded shooting him a friendly smile.

Walking Adrian out of the office I could feel Melanie burning a hole into the back of my head. Once he disappeared into the elevator I turned on the heels of my Prada pumps. There was Melanie with a smug look painted on her face which caused me to roll my eyes.

"He's fine isn't he" Melanie asked smiling slyly as she tapped a pen along her desk

"Yes he is. But no mixing business with pleasure" I replied pointing my index finger at her "so no funny business Mel I mean it"

"Come on Vix don't be a prude. But are we going out later for drinks?" Melanie asked twirling around her chair

"Yes, I'll meet you at Rockit Bar & Grill at nine" I said walking back into my office

It was a Friday night, it has been a long week I needed a drink or maybe two. Once inside my office I closed my door behind me and forced myself to finish the remaining four hours of my shift.

| Sometime Later |

Melanie and I have been at Rockit for a little over an hour and I was already on my third In The Rainbows. I was finally enjoying myself after a long stressful week at the firm. It felt good to finally let my hair down. As Melanie and I were chatting away I spotted Adrian at a few table away from us. I secretly hoped Melanie didn't notice him. He looked completely different from earlier. His hair was wild and his attire showed his relaxed side. He wore a simple white v neck, fitted distressed jeans and a matching jean jacket. I didn't realize how long I was staring until Melanie waved her hand in front of my face making me snap out of my trance.

"What did you say Mel ?" I asked turning my attention back to her "I'm sorry I had a moment" I chuckled some fanning myself feeling the effect of the rum and vodka infused drink

"I asked if you wanted to go over there with Adrian" Melanie asked pointing in the direction Adrian and his friends were.

"No, you can go. It's getting pretty late for me" I said drinking the last of my drink. Gathering my Hermès Berkin bag from the chair beside me

"Okay grandma. I'll call you in the morning" Melanie said giving me a quick hug

I watched as she walked over to the table Adrian occupied. She leaned over and whispered something in his ear. He brought his eyes up and waved to me. I gave him a small wave before gathering up my things. I took my car keys out of purse and made my way out of the grill.