Chapter II | Vixen

Three Weeks Later

This morning I was feeling amazing and the reason was due to it being that it was my boyfriend Kaiden and I's two year anniversary. And the night I planned for us was going to be nothing short of extravagant. Walking to my office I issued out my hellos and good mornings. Once inside my second home I closed the door behind me. I knew Melanie would be arriving soon to update me on her latest conquest. Carefully taking a sip of the piping hot vanilla chai latte I sat my leather laptop case down on my desks before stepping closer to my window. Opening the shades a smile curled on my lips as the warm rays from the sun shined thru the window. As I allowed my mind to wander off in thoughts of tonight the sound of my phone vibrating tore me around.

Seeing it was a text from Kaiden I grew excited, figuring he was going to tell me happy anniversary or maybe even tease me about what got me as a gift but boy was I sadly mistaking. Smoothing out my black slacks I took a seat and retrieved my phone from my Chanel bag. Angling my phone so it could perfectly scan my face I went to my messages. And that good mood was quickly snatched away from me.

Kaiden : Hey babe sorry I left so early but I have to attend a business meeting in New York. I'll see you in a few days.

Maybe I didn't read that correctly, I thought as I read the text once more. Locking the screen I dropped the sleek device on my desk as a frustrated sigh fell from my lips. A business meeting on our anniversary ? Maybe it was a joke, maybe he was trying to scare me into thinking he forgot but ultimately I knew. I knew for a fact none of that was going to be it. Kaiden was known to be a workaholic so I knew deep down it wasn't a joke. Besides the fact it was our anniversary what really pissed me off was he literally just came home from a week long conference in California spent two days, forty eight hours with me and poof he was gone.

Releasing another sigh I held my head back letting it rest against the the chair when someone knocked on my door. Closing my eyes momentarily I cleared my throat to speak but before I could the sound of the door opening filled my ears.

"Morning Vix, are you busy ?" Adrian's voice filled the room demanding my attention

Lowering my head I opened my eyes to seen Adrian standing partial out the door. My chocolate brown orbs scanned him over. He was dressed in a black long sleeve button down with the sleeves rolled up exposing his toned, tatted arms. A pair of khakis, black loafers and to top it of a diamond encrusted Rolex rested on his left wrist. My eyes kept their gaze on the Rolex. Not only was it a flashy choice for work but most junior partners couldn't afford something like that. Making a mental note about it I sat up in my chair and crossed my legs.

"Do you want me to come back?" He asked as he studied my face

Simply shaking my head no I spoke "No it's okay. What could I help you with" unzipping the leather bag that housed my MacBook Air.

"Phil told me that you and I are working on the Nelson VS. Vasquez case together" Adrian replied as his scratched along his scruffy jawline

"Yes. Please come in and have a seat" I said taking a hefty sip of my chai latte. Placing the cup down I reached into my file cabinet to get the folders for the case.

This case wasn't  like any of my normal cases. I usually handled business lawsuits, class action lawsuits and a few times I helped local celebrities get out of terrible three sixty deals. This case was a murder case. With the nearby police departments ADA was on leave my company agreed to step in. In this case,  Jamal Nelson tried to kill his 6 month pregnant girlfriend Brenda Vasquez. He beat her and tried to set her on fire. Luckily she only sustained first degree burns to her arms and legs. But she lost her baby. So now Jarvis is being charged with second degree murder.

"I read over the file a few times and this is really sad" Adrian said resting the folder on my desk

"Yes it really is. It's mortifying to know that there are some sick people like that" Shaking my head I felt a wave of disgust wash over me.

"How long will we be working on this case" Adrian asked as he read some of the papers occasionally looking up at them to look at me as he waited for an answer.

"It depends. If he takes the plea deal or plea guilty it will be done and over the same day or two days tops. But if he pleas not guilty..." My words trailed off due to someone knocking on the door

The door slowly opened followed by Melanie poking her head inside the office. "Sorry to interrupt Vix but you have a delivery do you want me to bring it in ?" She asked giving Adrian a small wave

Maybe I was wrong and Kaiden didn't forget about our anniversary. As a smile began to form on my lips excited to see what was being delivered to me. Melanie returned holding a large bouquet of pink and orange roses. Letting out a squeal of excitement I took the card from the holder and opened it.

Vix, I'm sorry I had to leave but business it business. Hope you forgive me

-Kaiden

Anger washed over me and luckily for Kaiden I knew how to keep a poker face while at work. Crumpling up the small card I dropped into the trash bin before looking up at Melanie and Adrian who were already gazing at me with a confused expression on their faces. Giving Melanie a subtle look she nodded her head before leaving my office. Taking my seat I pulled myself closer to my desk and picked up my pen. 

"Are you okay?" Adrian asked closing the his folder and resting it on my desk

"Hm, oh yeah I'm fine. Why you ask?" I asked him lowering my eyes to my laptop

"You looked a little hurt when you read the card" Adrian said pointing to the trash bin

"That, it's nothing really" I said waving it off with a small chuckle. Deep down it stung me like hell and from the looks of it Adrian was no fool. Would I talk to Adrian about something like this ? I'm not entirely too sure but yet I feel as though he will pry it out of me. Exhaling sharply I saved the document I was working on and closed my laptop

"My boyfriend left for another business trip this morning and what makes it worse is today is our two year anniversary. He sent me the roses to apologize but he didn't even say anything about our anniversary" I said shaking my head ignoring the lump I felt growing in my throat

"Damn Vixen I'm sorry about that. That's...excuse my language but real fucked up. If it was me I would have postpone the meeting or at least did something to make up for me not being able to spend our anniversary together" He stated as he adjusted the watch

"Why couldn't my boyfriend have that mentality?" I asked jokingly although I meant every word.

Adrian and I shared a laugh although it was at my own expense. Returning to the work at hand I opened my laptop and began to finish typing the document I was working on before. Even while my mind was trying it's best to to stay focus with work but it couldn't. Like he knew something was bothering me Adrian cleared his throat attempting to get attention.

"Yes Adrian ?" I asked keeping my eyes on the screen of my laptop

"What are you doing this afternoon" Adrian questioned standing to his feet.

Shrugging my shoulders I watched as his muscular arms flexed in the black shirt he was wearing "Nothing in particular, I might just order some food and eat here in the office" I replied closing my laptop once again.

"How about I take you out to lunch? You know to make up for your boyfriend" He offered giving me a rather cheeky smile

Taken back by his boldness I folded my arms over my chest as my bottom lip became embedded between my teeth. As I nervously chewed on my lip I didn't know how to answer. But then again I was probably overthinking the whole situation right ? He's a coworker, it's just a lunch and nothing more. But why do I feel like it just might become a problem I wouldn't know how to handle.