NINE

"Blake?"

I turned my head to find a familiar pair of big, hazel eyes staring up at me with a smile spread across her lips, gleaming in surprise and excitement. Her blonde bangs looked longer as they almost covered her eyes. I fumbled with my words a little bit, fidgeting with the back pockets of my jeans as I spoke. "Oh, uh, hi Sofie. I didn't expect to see you here."

"I'm just eating lunch here with my parents." She pointed behind her at the booth filled with three other people, one of them being her older brother that I recognised from Nando's that one time. "Who are you here with?"

Right on queue, Liam appeared from behind me and his obviously larger frame was now being compared to mine, making me feel insecure. His eyes darkened a little as he laid eyes on the girl. "Me."

She looked taken aback before she adjusted herself and laughed awkwardly, fiddling with the ends of her hair. "I-I didn't know you two were actually friends, I thought it was just a rumor."

Liam narrowed his eyes, obviously not trusting her. "Right," He mumbled before turning to me, eyes softening a little. "So should we get going then, Blake?"

I nodded before Sofie quickly grabbed my hand and spun me around so that I had no choice but to face her. "Wait, u-um, can we hang out sometime?"

I was not expecting her to ask that. "I-"

"No. Goodbye." Liam interrupted with a fake smile, grabbing my other wrist - Sofie letting go - and pulling me out of the restaurant before he released his grip, not without letting his touch linger for a split second.

I crossed my arms over my chest dramatically. "What the fuck was that? Sofie and I are friends, you can't just push me out the door."

"I don't trust her at all, okay? Stacy told me about what happened between them and it seems like there's something she isn't telling me." He whispered, pointing behind me through the window at the girl who had shrugged and walked back towards to where her family was sitting. "Apparently she did something to Stacy but I have no idea what it was. I'm just trying to protect you."

I huffed, turning away slightly. "Well I don't need your protection. I am perfectly capable of defending myself."

Liam raised an eyebrow in disbelief. "Uh-huh, sure. Whatever you say."

And then that boy didn't leave my thoughts for the rest of the night.

***

Iris and Phoebe were sitting across from me as Hayden was seated at my side. Sofie was nowhere to be found so I assumed she decided not to come to school today. It was awkward, for some reason.

"So," Hayden started, twirling his drink bottle around his finger. "How's everyone doing?"

Iris looked up slightly. "Fine."

"Yeah, good." The red haired girl smiled enthusiastically.

I realised they were all staring at me, waiting for my answer. "U-Uh, yeah fine."

Hayden kept his gaze fixated on me for a couple of more seconds before pulling me in slightly by the collar and bringing his mouth to my ear and covering it with his hand.

"What's going on between those two?" He whispered.

I shrugged before looking over at them. Phoebe was brushing her hair with her fingers and Iris was looking down at the table, fiddling with her hands underneath the table whilst taking quick glances over at the girl beside her.

Awkward. I wanted to say.

Suddenly something hit me. I'm not sure exactly what it was but a memory started to replay in my head. It was a few nights ago when Iris first came out to me and the way she was feeling. Ever since then, she's been acting a little different. More quieter. Maybe she wants to tell Phoebe about how she's been feeling too?