TWELVE

"When will they stop being all lovey dovey with each other?" Hayden whined before slamming his head down on the table. "It's making me feel single."

I watched from across the table as Phoebe showed Iris something on her phone before resting her head on her shoulder laughing.

Iris isn't fully out yet, but she has explained that she is comfortable for us to tell people. She also came out to her parents which made me scream in excitement. You're next, I remember her saying. I just laughed nervously.

Sofie smiled. "They really are cute together but I can't believe it. I was sick for two days and this is what I miss out on."

I couldn't help but laugh. If only it could be that simple for me.

"Anyway, I didn't get to talk to you at that restaurant because Liam got in the way." Sofie blurted out randomly as I looked over at her. "But, do you maybe want to hang out?"

I was about to reply until I remembered something.

Sofie isn't as sweet as she seems. I'm not ready to tell you the rest of the story yet but please just be careful around her, okay?

Stacy's words repeated in my head like a broken record. Surely it wouldn't be too bad if I just hung out with her for a little bit, right?

"Uh, yeah sure." I hesitantly replied as I hastily got up from the seat. "Sorry guys but I have to go."

Sofie raised an eyebrow as she grabbed my wrist. "Why?"

I chuckled nervously before quickly backing away causing her to let go. "Biology project."

In the corner of my eye I noticed Iris smirking. I gave her a quick glare before waving them all goodbye and running off.

***

As soon as I got home, I quickly changed my clothes into something more comfortable. I was praying that Dad wasn't home at the moment so that he and Liam wouldn't have to cross paths. If Dad found out who he was and that he took me home, there was little to no chance that he was going to be nice to him. At all.

I asked Mom and she said that he had gone out grocery shopping which is a big relief because I cannot go through the same conversation that I did last night. I just wouldn't be able to handle it.

"Blakey! You're supposed to act out the characters." Rosie giggled as she tugged on my curls.

I smiled before tickling her. "I can't talk in a girl's voice. My voice is too deep."

"Hm." She stroked her chin like she was thinking. "Light bulb! How about I do the girl and you do the boy? Simple!"

I felt my insides melt. This girl doesn't know how adorable she is sometimes. "Good idea."

I then started to continue reading to her but she eventually gave up and just let me do all of the work. I looked up from the book for a moment before realising that Liam was resting against the doorframe watching us.

"Who let you in?" I asked as I repositioned Rosie who was sitting in my lap.

He chuckled. "Your brother. Is this your sister?"

"Yeah, but I have two." I played with Rosie's soft hair. "Sarah is probably in her room, you can go chat to her if you want. I'll be down in a second I just have to finish this."