03. deja vu

I look out the front window of the sports car, letting my mind wonder to this morning. Those chocolate brown eyes. They are the same, but there is a new coldness behind them. Their innocence gone.

       My phone's ringtone pulls me out of my trance. I look down and find Erin's name flashing across the screen. I maneuver my car to an empty parking space before answering the call. 

       "How's the famous Quinn Hathaway doing?" I smile at the ecstatic greeting.

       "I've been good," I answer. "What about you Erin?"

       "Oh, you know, nothing much. Just busy traveling the world." He brags. "But I'm back in Hollywood for a modeling gig and you know what that means."

       "What time is the party?"

       "You know me so well," Erin gushes. "It set to start at nine, but since you are my best-friend you get to come two hours earlier to help me set up."

       "Wow, I feel so honored." I rely sarcastically.

       "I'm inviting every celebrity in Hollywood. It's going to be great!" Erin adds.

       My smile drops and my facial expression morphs into one of concern.

       "Are you sure you want to do that to your mansion again?"

       Erin's parties are known as the best parties in all of Hollywood, mainly because of how wild they get. Almost every party always ends with something catching on fire or breaking.

       "I've learned from my previous mistakes. This time there won't be any lighters or fireworks." He assures.

       I chuckle as the memories that resurface after he says this.

       "Alright, I will see you tonight then."

"See you tonight."

I end the phone call and slowly maneuver the car out of the parking space, focusing my attention back on the lane in front of me.

I drive past the familiar streets until I pull up in front of the huge black gates with a golden 'H' centered in the middle.

       "Hathaway residence. May you please state your name?" The security guard says through the intercom.

       "Quinn Hathaway."

       There is a low beep before the gates open. I drive past them and up the hill until I approach the Hathaway mansion where Aurora and Kenneth reside.

       I try to visit them, especially my niece every time I have the chance. It always brightens my day when I spend time with Eva.

       I park my car near the entrance and step out of the car. My eyebrows knit together in confusion when I spot Aurora and Kenneth making their way out of the mansion with Eva.

       "Quinn, what are you doing here?" Aurora asks sharing my confused expression.

       "Uncle Queen!" Eva beams and I smile at her.

       "Remember you asked me if I could babysit Eva today?" I remind.

       Aurora face palms herself and turns to me with a guilty expression. "I forgot to text you. Eva got invited to a play date so there's no need to babysit her anymore. I'm sorry."

       "It's alright," I assure with a smile. "You have fun okay?"

       "Yeah!" Eva giggles.