09. fake tears and a broken heart

I step onto the set for today holding a cup filled with mango smoothie. I pull my glasses down and stare at the crowd of the work crew surrounding Mia and William's trailer. I pick up my speed and walk toward the trailer. Mia's loud voice can be heard as she throws some very special cuss words at William.

       "What is going on?" I ask, but I have an idea of what this whole ordeal is about.

       "You didn't see the gossip news?" Anastasia asks and I shake my head.

Anastasia hands me the recent print of Hollywood Scandals, a daily news outlet with the most up-to-date scandals.

"Oh," my mouth shapes into a perfect circle as I read the title of today's front page article.

A picture of William and the girl last night is displayed on the front cover. The two of them in a very compromising position inside William's car.

"She stormed into that trailer and we have been hearing them yelling for the past ten minutes." Anastasia explains. "Even a beauty like her can get cheated on."

The door to the trailer begins to open and everyone is quick to disperse away. Mia emerges with stains of mascara running down her face and blood-shot red eyes. Her eyes look around the crew who is pretending to be busy. She sets her gaze on me and wipes away her tears.

"Did you hear?" She asks as she approaches me.

I give her a sympathetic smile and nod.

"I think everyone heard, love." I reply honestly.

Mia looks around once more and this time spots some of the crew whispering and snickering among themselves. She turns to me again with glossy eyes and trembling lips. I heave sigh, wrap my arm around her and guide her toward my trailer as she bursts into tears.

"Take a seat," I say as I guide her to the couch.

I crouch down next to her and cup her cheeks. My heart burned for her, both anger and guilt. I am angry at William for hurting her in this way, but also mad at myself for not confronting him yesterday.

       "Quinn, what is it?" Gabriella asks.

        I shake my head and smile.

       "Nothing," I assure.

       I look back at William and the girl who are busy laughing. My jaw clenches but I turn on my heel and follow Gabby.

       "I am sorry," I whisper and Mia turns to look at me confused.

       "William should be the one apologizing, not you." Mia states with a strained smile.

       I take a seat next to her on the couch, turning my body to face her. I bite my cheek and I look down at her.

       "I saw them last night," I confess. "I should have said or done something to him. Confronted him, maybe?"

       Mia chuckles and my eyebrows furrow together.

       "Quinn, it's okay." She assures. "He's the one who cheated. Plus, we aren't exactly best-friends so I wouldn't expect for you to do anything to him. Thank you though...for letting me know."

       "I still feel guilty."

       "You shouldn't," Mia assures.

I feel her chin resting on my shoulder and I turn to look at her. Our faces are mere inches from one another and I feel her minty breathe fan my face. She looks down at my lips and then her gaze looks up at me, staring at me through her thick lashes. My breathing hitches at the proximity.