16. confrontations

Mia's POV

       Tense. That is one word to describe the atmosphere surrounding Quinn and I. Despite his constant reassuring that everything is fine, I know that it isn't. The night of the ball I was going to confess to him the truth, but then I received a call from Theo. New evidence had emerged. A drug lab at a deserted factory, but no sign of the so-called El Tiburon.

       I did not want to leave Quinn like that but I had to. Finding out who that monster is, is my main priority. Theo and William still believe that Quinn is the infamous drug lord, I at first thought so too, especially after that witness' statement, but now. Now I don't know what to believe anymore.

"Hey, Quinn?" I call out as we reach his apartments parking lot.

"Yeah?"

I flinch at his cold tone. He slowly parks the car but I sink in my seat. Quinn steps out first and I follow after him. He does not slow down for my like he usually does and I pick up my speed to reach him. We step into the elevator and stand in silence.

"I know you're mad," I blurt out as we exit the elevator.

"I am not mad," he argues in a sing-song voice.

I throw my purse onto the couch before walking toward him with a look of determination.

"I am Elena Castillo, the girl you met in Cancun six years ago!"

Quinn looks up at me after pouring his drink. He seems surprised for a split second before sipping his water nonchalantly.

"I know," he hums.

"That's it?" I ask in disbelief.

I was expecting an outburst of questions, but all I get is a simple response.

Quinn sets down his glass and looks me in the eyes with a cold, hurt expression. He stalks over to slowly and I swallow the lump in my throat. He leans onto the counter casually.

"I always knew Elena and Mia were one in the same. I never for a split second stopped believing that." He confesses. "But I stopped pestering you about it because I knew you must have had a reason for denying it. Now let me ask you this, Mia. Why did you pretend to not know me? Why did you pretend that what we had never happened, huh?"

I watch as his eyes turn glossy and then I feel my own swelling with tears.

"Quinn, I—" I pause for a second not knowing what to say next. I finally look up at him and sigh. "The night before we were to be wed, my best-friend went out. She did not return at the time she said she would-"

"Gina?" Quinn asks and I nod.

I walk over to the couch and he follows me. I try to figure out if I should tell him the entire truth. If I did then it would compromise the mission, so instead I opt to twist the story a bit and leave out the parts that scarred me. I have to prove his innocence first and then I could tell him the entire truth.

"She involved herself with some people that were bad. That night she called me and I could tell she was not okay. She told me that some people were after her and that I was not safe." I explain as I recall the events. "I then heard gunshots...I-I knew she was gone, so I ran. I fled the country changed my identity without looking bad."

I look down at my palms with remorse. He did not know the whole truth, but at least he knew part of it and for now that will have to do.

Quinn's POV

       I look down at her and press my lips together. I know she isn't telling me the entire truth. She did not mention the club, nor William or Theo.

       "So, that's why you left me standing at the alter?" I ask as I take a seat next to her.

       I want to confront her so bad about what I found out, but with this voluntary confession I knew. She is going to tell me when she feels ready and until then I would have to be patient.

       "It was not my intention to leave you hanging." Mia replies.

       "Why did you act so cold when we first met?"

       Mia bites her lip before looking up.

       "I knew I hurt you once and I wanted to push you away, so I would not have to hurt you again."

       I stare deep into her eyes and I can tell she isn't telling me the truth. I sigh and pull her closer to me.

       "I believe you," I mumble before kissing the top of her head.

       "Please, promise me you won't tell anyone my real identity?" Mia pleads as she looks up at me. "I don't know if those bad people Gina mentioned are still after me, but I don't wa-"

       "I won't tell anyone, I promise."

       I pull her closer to me and run my hand up and down her arm. I did not know much of what happened to her, but I could tell that whatever is was hurt her really bad and whoever was the one behind her pain was going to pay dearly.

       My phone's ringtone echoes in the once quiet room and I reach into my pocket to pull it out. My brows furrow together when I check the caller ID which read Julieta.

       "Hey, what's up?"

       "Quinn, please." I hear cry out followed by the sound of loud banging against the door.

       "Open up, you bitch!" I hear the voice of her husband yellowing followed by more loud banging.

       "He's going to kill me! Quinn, please come!" Julieta cries out, her breathing very shaky. "Hurry!"

       Beep!

       "Quinn, who was it? Mia asks.

       I shake myself out of my frozen state and jump up from the couch.

       "Call 9-1-1!" I exclaim as I grab my keys. "That bastard is going to kill her."

- Author's Note -Hello my lovelies! Late update

- Author's Note -
Hello my lovelies! Late update... I know I am so sorry. I've been quite busy but here it is! I hope you guys enjoyed. What do you guys think will happen to Julieta? Let me know in the comments! I will see you next week with another update lovelies!
Stay safe. Stay healthy. Stay awesome!
Xoxo, Liz 💋💋💋