CHAPTER 2

》︎✳︎✳︎✳︎《︎︎

》︎✳︎✳︎✳︎《︎︎

DEVYN REMEMBERS THE night she and Ophelia found out their father wouldn't be returning to them. Without a chance to say goodbye, their worlds got torn down when a Peacekeeper showed up at their door, giving them the news. She remembers everything so clear, from the feeling of anxiety after Ophelia called her to the door and she saw that sickening white uniform to the plummeting drop of her stomach.

When the words came from the Peacekeeper's monotonous voice, showing no emotion for their loss, Ophelia let out a scream. A mangled and split screech that you could surely hear from a few houses away. With no hesitation afterward, she began to sob, not giving a care in the world that the Peacekeeper still stood there, his arms crossed over his chest.

Devyn didn't cry or yell at the Peacekeeper despite how angry she was. Instead, she stood there speechless and numb as she let the burning rage slowly edge up on her. Her first strike was telling the Peacekeeper to leave, which he did gladly, but after that, she repeatedly punched at the wall as Ophelia sat on the couch, still weeping.

The reaping was very different, and neither one of the sisters knew why. This was a significant loss because everyone knew that you might as well prepare your death bed once your name is called. Ophelia would be losing her sister, who was her best friend and the only person to truly understand her. Johanna was a good second, but no one would compare to Devyn's listening when it came to complaining about work or everyday things. She wouldn't have a person to keep going for, and now, without Devyn, there was no way she would be able to support herself.

But for Devyn, the only loss for her was her life, and she was okay with that as long as her sister was alright. She knew Ophelia would struggle with no tesserae, but now there was only herself to feed. She wouldn't have to worry about pleasing someone else's needs or worrying about anyone else besides herself. She felt that no longer having tesserae would match the amount of money she made at the factory. It would be enough to go by, and Johanna would likely continue her contributions. And Ophelia still had Johanna: her best friend who might as well be her sister. Johanna would take care of her, so Devyn had nothing to worry about besides the emotional blow her death would have on Ophelia.

But Ophelia was strong because their father had raised her to be that way. That's how she was able to pick herself up so quickly and get a job like she was expected and needed to do so she and Devyn wouldn't end up in starvation. Her father's death hurt her every day, but she was able to have the right mindset and name the things she still had. Yes, it was very little, but it was enough. And Johanna would be enough for Ophelia as long as she stayed close to her.

Devyn didn't have to push through the crowd of older girls around her, and instead, they made a clear path for her to walk up on stage. When she made it up the stairs, not bothering to look in the audience for Ophelia's broken eyes, she finally saw Johanna. She had done it. Her jaw was clenched so tight, and her hands were in fists on the armrests that there would most likely be nail marks on the inside of her palm. She stared ahead above the crowd, and Devyn noticed her body so tensed she was shaking.