CHAPTER 6

》︎✳︎✳︎✳︎《︎︎

》︎✳︎✳︎✳︎《︎︎

"WE'VE GOT TO stop meeting like this," Devyn mocked, and Cato froze in his place. Devyn giggled, the effects of the previous three glasses of wine at dinner now taking a full swing. She turned around to face Cato, who eyed her suspiciously. He could tell something was not right with her at her crooked and weak smile.

"I didn't know you could lift," Cato added, ignoring the frequent biting of her lip and gnawing at her nail. Little things like this caused him to lose his ego dramatically and just admire the girl in front of him.

"Are you stalking me, two? Or are you just naturally drawn to my beauty?" She drawled, stalking forward towards Cato, who smirked.

"Boy, are you confident? How much have you had to drink? Four glasses of the Capitol wine?" He asked and watched as Devyn continued advancing towards him; he didn't move an inch or stop her.

"Three as a matter a fact, and yes, I am confident. Is that an issue?" Cato shook his head, tucking a piece of her bangs behind her ear as he cupped her cheek.

"I like this side of you," Devyn's wide grin fell flat as they stared at each other. Cato was trying to lock every detail of her face in his mind, from her brunette hair that curled at the ends to the playful glint in her eyes. Devyn seemed to be looking up at him in pride or mischief; he couldn't tell.

"Well then, maybe I should show it more often," as their lips moved closer to each other and Devyn went on her tiptoes, Cato felt his breath hitch as he prepared for the most amazing kiss he had ever experienced.

Cato gasped sharply, jolting from his bed in a frenzy. His head whipped from one side to the other, finally grasping his head around the fact that he was in his room on the second floor instead of on the roof with Devyn. His sheets were covered in sweat, and ... oh no. He grimaced, slowly peeling himself out of bed and sighing.

He rushed to the closet and quickly swiped and clicked at the tablet until he got a new pair of athletic shorts. He went to the shower, putting the settings on nothing but steaming hot water with the rainfall style. He stripped off his now ruined pair of shorts and jumped in, immediately placing his head on the cool stone of the shower wall.

He was 18-years-old and still fantasized about girls like a schoolboy. Let alone a girl he hardly knew, he would still classify her as a stranger and before his dream was ready to keep it that way. But now, he didn't know how to feel. His heart would refuse to acknowledge anything but the upcoming games because everything and everyone was too dangerous to feel towards. But his mind wouldn't get out of this rut of constantly thinking about what Devyn was doing right now while he sulked in the shower in the middle of the night. Surely, she was sleeping, but he still wondered. However, his body definitely agreed with his mind when it came to Devyn.