CHAPTER 7

》︎✳︎✳︎✳︎《︎︎

》︎✳︎✳︎✳︎《︎︎

"CLOVE KENTWELL," THE electronic voice announced, and Clove stood up, practically running towards the gymnasium door to complete her private session. She was only the third person to have gone, and Cato was next. He wasn't nervous, but he was interested, to say the least, in what the Gamemakers thought of him. He figured he would be like any other career his size and get at least a nine, but some things fell out of place in the games.

Devyn, however, was quite nervous. She hadn't handled an ax in weeks, and the Capitol weapons were probably more advanced than those in District seven. She might mess up and embarrass herself in front of the very people that decide her fate. But she would be happy with any score higher than a six, so she wouldn't look like a complete fool.

"Cato Hadley," Cato rose from his seat and walked towards the door, not before sending a subtle wink at Devyn, who rose an eyebrow. After over an hour of waiting, Devyn's name was finally called.

Leighton sent her a small reassuring smile as she walked towards the gymnasium. The gymnasium had all the stations still set up, except all instructors were gone, and the only person on the floor was a Peacekeeper standing in the corner. The Gamemakers stood on the upper level, all chatting away and eating the feast provided to them. Devyn almost scoffed at how they must make sure they're looking over the tributes as if proving their power over them.

A few eyes were on her as she walked over to the ax station. Finally, she would be able to do what she did best. She grabbed ahold of one of the throwing axes. A lighter and slick black weapon with a handle made of solid rubbers and plastics specifically designed for long-range shots. She rounded back towards the Gamemakers, who still weren't fully paying attention to her.

"Devyn Dallix," she said in a proud and stern voice. "District seven," all of them turned their brightly colored chair towards her as she walked over to the ax targets. Some were on pieces of wood against the wall, some were hanging from the ceiling, and others were shaped like humans, much like the dummies at the sword station.

She drew both arms above her head and let out an exhale of air she was holding onto. Closing one eye and directing the weapon at one of the foam humans, she aimed for the face. It was at least ten yards away, but she let her arms fly forward anyways. The ax flew until it hit the nose of the dummy. She smirked, glancing back at the Gamemakers. Some shrugged while others gave looks that reassured her that it wasn't bad. But all ended up turning back to a previous conversation.

Devyn became furious, but she wouldn't let her temper get her in trouble. Not this late in the games. She picked up another two axes and went over to the rope climbing. She put one ax grip between her teeth and the other firmly in the other hand as she climbed up the unstable ropes. Once she was to the top, she hooked her legs around the ropes and dropped down, now dangling upside down as she noticed the ax targets too far away now.