CHAPTER 8

》︎✳︎✳︎✳︎《︎︎

》︎✳︎✳︎✳︎《︎︎

"I LOOK DISGUSTING," Devyn groaned, trying to pull her dress as far down as she could without revealing too much of her chest. Her interview dress was so much worse than the tribute parade. It was so bad she couldn't hold her comments to herself.

Although it wasn't as offensive, the dress Vanity had picked out was just as horrid and erotic. It was a puffy lilac dress that went a little above the middle of her thigh with dozens of fabric roses, petals, and leaves sewn into the mesh that consisted of the top half of her dress (if she could call it that). The only thing keeping her chest covered was a v-neck knit bralette of the same color, two sizes too small. The more minor details consisted of: glued on beads to her top, a belt covered in the same roses littered across her neckline, and five-inch lilac strap-on heels to accentuate her freshly painted feet.

Vanity did as she had with the tribute parade and curled her hair excessively, forcing her bangs to the front. She did lilac makeup with strong eyeshadow and purple eyelashes; she even glued the same tiny beads and petals from her dress on her cheekbones and around her eyes. Devyn kept having to take deep breaths as she pushed through all the torture so she wouldn't smack some sense into Vanity.

And with a few flowers braided into her hair, she was finally done. Without even trying to argue, Vanity dragged Devyn out of the room. They walked through the halls behind the stage set up in the City Square just outside the Tribute Center. Devyn felt her dress riding up and yanked it back down. They went to a small waiting area for the tributes and mentors and saw at least two dozen people scattered across the couches and chairs.

After getting a final talk with their mentor, some tributes stood in line while others still buzzed anxiously. Devyn pulled her dress down once more before walking over to Leighton, Orina, Beatrice, and Johanna. Leighton, once again, was dressed much better than Devyn. He looked quite normal with his black suit pants and button-up over another white shirt and it all under a bold salmon suit coat. His hair was let down and messy, and it seemed Orina had put extensions in, so it fell in front of his eyes.

"Don't you look ..." Leighton trailed off, once again struggling to complement his district partner.

"You look gorgeous, dear!" Orina said, bringing Devyn into a hug and her eyes widened as she kept her dress down. She forced a smile on her face as Orina broke the hug to talk to Vanity.

"How much do you wanna bet at least someone will see something they shouldn't be seeing," Johanna whispered lowly in Devyn's ear, and she laughed.

"Nothing cause it's bound to happen."

"Are you wearing anything under there?"

"Just Spanx," Devyn mumbled.

"Oh, Dev," Johanna stroked across Devyn's highlighted cheek.