CHAPTER 11

》︎✳︎✳︎✳︎《︎︎

》︎✳︎✳︎✳︎《︎︎

"DEVYN!" KATNISS SCREAMED from the other tree as she rushed to untie herself from her tree. Devyn shot awake and quickly noticed the blazing fire. She soon was following Katniss as she shoved everything in her backpack and climbed down the first portion of the tree, falling to the ground for the rest.

Katniss was already slightly ahead of her as they ran across the forest where a line of orange fire circled them. It was spreading immensely fast and was so tall and unexpected that they both knew it was a manufactured fire. The Gamemakers wanted them closer to the other tributes. They were sprinting past the trees when Katniss stopped making Devyn almost run into her as a fireball the size of a plum was shot at them. They both ducked down before taking off again.

Another one was set off towards Katniss as it hit a nearby tree. They were heading left when a tree collapsed, and they gasped, running past it. The smoke was getting severely worse now as they coughed wildly, and their lungs felt like sandpaper. Another fireball was launched, and Devyn just made it out of the way in time, but unfortunately, Katniss got blasted in the leg.

She screeched as she fell to the floor, a nasty red burn at least third-degree spreading across her leg. "Katniss, come on!" Devyn cried, trying not to gag on the smoke. Another one was sent at them, and Devyn quickly picked Katniss up, pushing them away but not before it hit her left arm. She screamed in pain as her entire left side seared to the point where she could barely feel it.

Both of them fell to the ground, tumbling down a hill as they did everything they could to regain their balance or not hit a rock or tree. They stumbled up, their entire world being consumed in intoxicating white smoke as their eyes watered. They started running again, Katniss stumbling a few times as they rushed to the pond they knew they were close to.

When they finally arrived there, they both lunged in the water, not caring how loud they were as their burns immediately went down. Katniss groaned as she continued shaking from such high adrenaline and pain overwhelming her. Devyn let a euphoric exhale even if the cool water caused the burn to flame up again, but it soon calmed down.

They both were lounging in the pond, not even getting a minute of relaxation before they heard the familiar booming laughter coming from the trees ahead of them. They froze as the laughter grew nearer, and soon they saw the swords and spearheads of the careers reflecting off the beating sunlight. Cato was in front, a large smile on his face with the rest behind him.

Devyn grabbed Katniss' arm with her good one and sat up swiftly. "There they are! Both of them!" Marvel yelled, pointing in their direction and everyone looked over at them. Cato's smile immediately dropped, but he ran with the other careers anyway.

HELL FROM THE POWERS TRILOGY | C. HADLEYOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara