CHAPTER 13

》︎✳︎✳︎✳︎《︎︎

》︎✳︎✳︎✳︎《︎

ANOTHER HOUR PASSED, and the sun began setting across the arena, but no amount of darkness could crush Devyn's determination to locate Rue or Leighton. She needed to find them as the careers recovered from the tracker jacker attack back at the lake. If she didn't, then the two young tributes were as good as dead. She hadn't run into anyone or anything yet, but she knew something was to jump out at her soon. Otherwise, the Gamemakers won't have much good footage after the tracker jackers.

Devyn was so on edge that she would grip her ax even tighter every time she heard a rustle of leaves. But when a definite twig snapped from her right, she snapped around and readied herself—out rushed Leighton with his hands in the air, trying to calm the girl down who was just about to hit the top of his head. "Leighton," she sighed and dropped her ax, bringing Leighton into a tight hug.

The two held each other for quite a while, enjoying the comforting presence of home, even in people they didn't particularly love. They didn't pull away until a small voice coughed awkwardly, and Rue came into sight. Devyn smiled and gave the girl a hug which frightened her, but she eventually grew used to the feeling.

"I'm so glad to see you guys," Devyn whispered into Rue's frizzy hair before stepping away.

"You didn't come back," Rue started, and Devyn sighed.

"I got attacked by the boy from ten and got injured, but I'm healed now. I didn't get much food, though," she said, but the two pushed it off.

"We've been fine thanks to you," Leighton added and sent a genuine smile to Devyn, something she hadn't ever seen become of his face.

"But on the topic of news, we have something to show you," Rue grabbed Devyn's hand and led her through the thick woods until they came across a small clearing. Unconscious and hidden under a log was Katniss, with leaves wrapped around every part of her skin.

"What happened?" Devyn asked, nearing Katniss with Rue while Leighton stayed behind.

"She dropped a nest of tracker jackers on the careers and got stung as well. The leaves are extracting the poison, and she should wake up in a few days," said Rue.

"How do you know about that?"

"We pointed it out to her."

"So you moved?"

"Leighton got impatient," Rue's voice went slightly quieter, so Leighton couldn't hear.

"How'd you already know?" Leighton cut in, and Devyn and Rue turned around; Rue curiously stared at the older girl as she opened her mouth to speak. "I mean, if you were injured and stayed hidden somewhere the entire morning when the nest was dropped, how could you know that already happened?"