CHAPTER 17

》︎✳︎✳︎✳︎《︎︎

》︎✳︎✳︎✳︎《︎︎

JOHANNA HAD TO be held back as the underground hospital doors burst open with doctors surrounding two stretchers that had came freshly from the hovercrafts. She barely caught the sight of Devyn's brunette hair on one, and the bloodier one had Cato with his throat slit.

"Devyn!" That single word she screamed rang in her ears for the next three hours as she was forced to sit out Devyn's intense surgery and saving. She was finally allowed in and saw Devyn unconscious on morphling. Johanna noticed she had several sewn-together cuts on her face, collarbone, and legs as she examined her. She had a large spot on her right leg with a tight bandage where it was bitten. Around her entire back was another bandage triple wrapped over her mut scratches.

She sat down in the chair next to her when she noticed something baffling. She lifted the hospital blanket and saw Devyn's entire left arm amputated. She knew it was bad but never this horrible where they had to cut it off. She sat back down, at a loss for words, as she hoped that Devyn would wake up soon.

***

"The infection from your arrow wound and mut bite wasn't curable once they built off one another, and if we didn't remove the damaged tissue, it would've spread, and you would've died," a doctor explained to Devyn as he finished attaching Devyn's prosthetic arm. They had already put in the metal and titanium plates, and now Devyn had giant pieces of metal and plastic as an arm which she was not happy about.

"Can I just see Cato?" She asked for the hundredth time, and the doctor shook his head.

"You'll see him tonight. For now, your prep team is here," he said with a smile, exiting the room, which soon burst open with Devyn's prep team.

"Devyn! Dear, how are you?" Her waxing and eyebrow stylist, Klarity, screeched.

"Oh, look at that... How on Earth will I get stuff on that? Or maybe cover it with a glove?" Robin, the nail tech, complained once he saw Devyn's arm.

The two got to work right away as they waxed, plucked, and painted her body. Over the next few days, Devyn had been moved from the hospital to the tribute center after many treatments for her cuts, so they were as smooth as ever, and it looked as if she had just been reborn. Even her leg and back were back to their original and better state. She looked like she hadn't just fought for her life a few days ago and nearly died.

The only reminder on her body was her arm which she had been trying to get used to but having grown up in such an athletic District as seven; she couldn't stand being at a disadvantage. When Robin and Klarity had finished, they greeted her goodbye, and soon Vanity barged in.

"Devyn! Sweetie, how are you?" She hugged Devyn tightly, who didn't return it and only muttered a small 'fine'. "Alright, I have this amazing piece for you," she lifted the white dress bag with a squeal. She helped her into a flowy green dress ending above her ankles with puffy sleeves and a low v-neck to expose her chest. She didn't mind it especially compared to the other outfits Vanity had given her.

She applied dark green eye makeup and blush-colored lips followed by long dangly diamond earrings and velvet green gloves. Her hair was left down and accentuated her bangs with subtle waves and soft glitter.

"You look gorgeous!" Once Devyn caught sight of herself, she couldn't help but feel a bit better. She truly did look beautiful under Vanity's hands.

"Thank you, Vanity. This is amazing," she said, and Vanity giggled, waving her off.

"We've got to go. There's a car downstairs to bring you to the interview."

***

"Everyone, please welcome the victors of the 74th Annual Hunger Games! Devyn Dallix and Cato Hadley from District two and seven!" The platform rose where Devyn stood and when the lights hit her, she put a smile on her face. She looked to her right and saw Cato walking towards Ceasar as well. He wore a dark navy suit much cleaner than his at their first interview with Ceasar.

When their eyes met towards the end of the stage, Cato took Devyn's hand in his own and sat them down on the couch. "Hello, you two. Might I say you both look stunning," Caesar cheered as he sat down. Cato nodded for the both of them, noticing how Devyn was in a daze. They both knew Cato was better at this than her. For the first ten minutes, Caesar and Cato had a conversation while Devyn barely listened.

"Devyn," she snapped alert. "How did you feel those days and nights you were lying in his arms protected from everything?"

Devyn looked at Cato's piercing eyes and quickly got devoured. "I felt at home. Like nothing would hurt me in such a challenging environment like the one we were in," she admitted, and the crowd awed. Cato squeezed her hand before they looked back at Caesar.

"So beautiful," he whispered. The interview went on, and they played a recap of all the deaths and moments between the two victors. When it got to Rue and Leighton's deaths, Cato held Devyn's hand tighter than ever before. The final clip was of Cato's attempted suicide which Devyn struggled to watch. Once the movie ended, the two stood up as President Snow walked on stage with a single gold crown in his hands.

When he stood in front of them, Devyn tried to restrain her glare. That's when he shocked everyone by snapping the crown in two. The crowd gasped and screeched as he placed one half on Cato's head and the other on Devyn's.

"Your district must be proud of you," he said to her lowly.

"Pride comes when you survive hell."