CHAPTER 3

》︎✳︎✳︎✳︎《︎︎

》︎✳︎✳︎✳︎《︎︎

LOUD STRINGS OF hisses rang through the remake center where Devyn was lying on a cold metal table as her prep team waxed every inch of her body as it begged her to interfere from the harsh ripping out of hair. Why couldn't her stylist be here already? How much washing down, plucking, and clipping did she expect Devyn to go through before she was ready for her. Johanna had warned her that the District seven stylist was very moronic, and Devyn wasn't surprised since she's been dressing her tributes as trees for the past forty years.

Devyn was already dreading having to put on whatever her stylist would force her into and knew already that she would be publicly embarrassed with whatever she had to flaunt in front of thousands. At least Leighton had his good looks and charm, but Devyn was just another girl. People like Glimmer, the girl from District twelve, or even Clove could outshine her easily.

When her prep team thought her ready, she was sent to a secluded room to meet her stylist, who was standing atop at least ten-inch heels. She had sickening pale skin with bright yellow makeup and wig in the shape of a large bow. Her neon purple bubble dress contrasted her face too much that she looked like too different people. After seeing the flaky and whimsical look in her large electric green eyes, she reminded her of Glimmer.

"You must be Devyn! I'm Vanity!" She exclaimed, clutching Devyn's hand and shaking it wildly. Devyn forced a smile on her face as Vanity guided her to sit on the table in the middle of the room. "Now I've got this amazing little outfit for you!"

She tapped a button on the wall, and a wall panel slid up into the ceiling. It revealed the most outrageous and inappropriate outfit Devyn had ever seen. Although it was beautifully crafted and detailed to the point where Devyn first thought she was seeing through a camera of the forest back home, it was beyond anything her worst-case scenarios had come up with. The long dress with perfectly detailed art of the District seven's flourishing trees had a slit in the left leg to show the brown lace-up flats. The supposed branches covered her chest area and wrapped around her hips, leaving a gap over the skin of her waist. The final part was a tacky leaf headpiece that rested just above her ear.

When Vanity helped her put it in, she realized it didn't cover as much skin as she thought. Her entire back was exposed, and it was strapless; it was somehow being held up by the clear band above her chest. She couldn't even bear looking at herself in the mirror yet and let Vanity do her hair and makeup. She let her hair fall from the ponytail still in her hair from Ophelia and curled it, so there were hundreds of mini curls. Her makeup extended the greens from her dress onto her cheekbones, shoulders, and eyes, and she put on plum-colored lipstick.

"Don't you look gorgeous!" Vanity exclaimed, and Devyn gawked at herself in the mirror. She looked hideous yet beautiful at the same time. The horrid headpiece looked worse on her than the mannequin, and her dramatic curls didn't help. If this were a competition on who could wear nature the best, she would've won, but moss and leaves weren't usually considered the best dress ideas.