CHAPTER 12

》︎✳︎✳︎✳︎《︎︎

》︎✳︎✳︎✳︎《︎︎

A GASP FELL from Rue's lips as her petite body slammed into Devyn's. As she fell on the ground, ready to scramble away, Devyn stopped her. Rue couldn't believe that one of the only times she went to the ground for food was the time she ran into a possibly lethal tribute.

"Hey, hey," she tried to calm the frantic girl down, who continued to scurry back. "I'm not going to hurt you," her voice was soothing and sweet, but Rue was cautious. She didn't say a word as she stood up quickly and took a significant step back.

"I've been looking for you, actually," Devyn stated, and Rue's brown doe eyes widened even more. "I've wanted to become your ally since day one, and now that I've found you, I can finally ask you that question,"

"But you're helping the careers," she whispered.

"He doesn't count," Devyn argued but not too harshly; otherwise, she would scare Rue away.

"I'm pretty sure he does," Rue shot back, and Devyn sighed.

"Look, I want to help you, and I might need some of your intelligence. I promise I won't hurt you," Rue had seen how much control Devyn had over Cato, definitely her most deadly hunter in the entire arena. She wanted to team up with her to protect herself against him and the other careers, but she had no reason to trust Devyn. She hadn't shown her one sliver of evidence that proved she wasn't anything more than a copy of Johanna Mason.

But then again, she did have someone on her side who knew Devyn well enough to know she wouldn't hurt such a little girl. Without a word, Rue waved Devyn over as she began walking the way she had come from. Devyn was confused, but she followed Rue a little under a mile into the woods until they stopped under a large oak tree.

Rue pointed upwards, and Devyn moved her gaze up as she searched for something in the trees. She then heard loud rustling from the leaves belonging to the large oak, and soon a small head poked around the corner of a branch. "Devyn?" Leighton asked, and Devyn had to blink a few times to register the sight in front of her.

"Leighton? But I thought you said —"

"I never mentioned being alone," Leighton cut her off, and Devyn huffed while Rue giggled.

"So you two are allies?"

"We have been since the start. We ran into each other shortly after the bloodbath and agreed to work together to destroy the greater evil."

"That's what you agreed on," Rue corrected.

"So? Wouldn't that be cool? Now come on before you two get caught," he ushered them up, and they both climbed the sturdy tree. Devyn rested on a branch to the right of Leighton while Rue settled on one above them.