CHAPTER 9

》︎✳︎✳︎✳︎《︎︎

》︎✳︎✳︎✳︎《︎︎

THE VERY DELAYED dinner was silent as Leighton and Devayn ate their last meal with Johanna and Beatrice. Since they would be only seeing their stylists before being sent in the arena, this was their last night together. Leighton had little to no trouble besides wanting to get some last minutes tips from Johanna while Devyn couldn't bear thinking about saying goodbye to her. Once dinner was cleared off, they all stood with sighs.

"We both wish you the best of luck," Beatrice glowed, embracing both the tributes in a tight yet fake hug. Both smiled, knowing Beatrice was only trying to be nice in her own way.

"Any last tips?" Leighton asked Johanna, who placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Retreat rather than fight. When that gong goes off, you run, understand me? Don't even think about it and focus on survival first. Only fight when you must," she said firmly, and Leighton nodded, absorbing every bit of information before greeting the women goodnight. Devyn didn't listen to Johanna's help and instead engulfed her in a hug.

"I love you, Jo. Take care of her for me," she whispered, her voice breaking as Johanna brought her closer. She couldn't speak as they broke the hug, and she wiped Devyn's new sprung-up tears away.

"I will. But you can't give up now, Dev. Even if you have no hope, please don't stop fighting. For both our's sake," Johanna choked out, trying her best not to sob, especially in front of Beatrice.

"I'll die trying," Devyn said and Johanna nodded, pulling her in for a final hug before kissing her head and walking to her room. Beatrice soon went to her room after smiling towards Devyn. The moment Beatrice's door was closed, Devyn raced out of the apartment and to the elevator. She did her best to rub away her tear stains as the elevator shot down. She was shocked and gripped onto the inner railing as the falling sensation finally stopped.

She jerked as it came to a screeching halt, and the doors opened. In walked Cato, who was surprised at seeing Devyn. Not that she had the same idea of going up to the roof, but the timing of both of them pressing the buttons. He smiled with a closed mouth as the door closed, and he clicked the roof button.

"Hey," he muttered, but she didn't reply. She didn't want to discuss everything from tonight with Cato after saying such an emotional goodbye to Johanna. She was emotionally exhausted. "So about the interview —" The elevator flew up.

"Cato," Devyn cut him off, and he raised an eyebrow. "I really don't feel like talking right now."

Cato let out a soft chuckle. "Good, because I don't feel like it either."

"Then why are you?"

"To irritate you," he said much lower, turning his body to face her. Deyn glanced at him and saw a sly smirk across his face. She was going to turn back, but Cato grabbed her waist and placed his lips on hers. Her eyes widened, and her first instinct was to push him away, but after a second of processing, she realized that she was enjoying it.