Chapter 13

(I don't own the images to these stories.)
*******************************
It was the second day in a row that Amanda helped Mark with the research for his book. She was going through the laptop, searching for information on ancient Egyptian culture. As she looked up from the screen, she saw that Mark was also hard at work on his laptop. She couldn't get the thought out of her mind that he might have had sex with Mrs. Crenshaw.

As she studied his face, it didn't make any sense to her. He was an extremely good-looking man and could have had any woman that he wanted. So why would he hook up with her? I mean it wasn't like Crenshaw was the ugliest woman in the world, far from it. But her personality didn't exactly make her seem all that desirable. Mark could do way better than that.

Suddenly, he looked up at her and smiled. Embarrassed, Amanda's eyes immediately shot back to the computer screen. She was hoping to save face, but he had definitely caught her staring at him.

"Is there something I can help you with, Amanda?"

She felt her own face turning red, as she did her best to respond without making a total ass of herself. "Um, no Mr. Jacobson—"

"Whoa! What's with this Mr. Jacobson?" he said with a smile, as he interrupted her. "I know that we're technically on school grounds, but we are the only ones here. Please call me, Mark."

Fortunately, his correcting her on what to call him had given her that little extra time that she needed to come up with an excuse for his catching her as she was staring at him.

"Oh okay, Mark. I guess my eyes were getting tired, and I looked away from the screen for a second and you happened to look at me at the same time; that's all. I wasn't staring at you, or anything."

Hopefully he bought her lame excuse. She wasn't sure if he did, even when he started to laugh. "I guess we have both been working hard. My eyes are a little tired too. Tell you what, why don't we take a fifteen-minute break? I'll run down to the teacher's lounge and get us a couple of sodas; on me. What would you like?"

"Just a Diet Coke." She answered. "Thank you. But I have some money. I would be more than happy to give you some."

"Nonsense." He told her. "Your money is no good. We'll have to use mine. Besides, it's the least I can do. I am grateful for your help on this book. It really means a lot to me."

"Well, you are the teacher." She said as she returned his smile.

"Be back in a jiff." He told her, as he walked out of the room.

Amanda was relieved that she hadn't embarrassed herself too much. Perhaps a quick break was a good idea. She had been sitting in the same position, and staring at the computer screen for a while, and she felt as though she could easily go to sleep. And soon after that, she heard what sounded like a lover whispering to her in the distance.

"Mer Ek!"

"Amanda?" she soon heard Mark say. His voice soon jolted her out of the sleep-like trance.

"What happened?" she asked. As she looked up at Mark, he was handing her a soda. He had a furrowed brow and looked just as confused as she felt. But he then smiled at her.

"I think that you drifted off to sleep for a second."

Amanda was mortified. "Oh my god! I am so embarrassed."

He just began to laugh. "Don't be. I know you work hard. While we were working, I took a moment, and looked at your quiz. You were the only one in any of my classes who aced it. You even got the final answer right, even though Mer Ek being the ancient Egyptian word for love was not included in the chapters that I had assigned. That meant your curiosity led you to read ahead."