Chapter 17

(I do not own the images to these stories.)

***************************************

Mark glared at Robert. "What do you mean? "-my services are no longer needed.'"

"I think you know exactly what I mean." Robert replied. "You are a danger to the school. But more importantly, you are a danger to my niece."

Mark did his best to hold back his anger that was boiling up inside of him. He could have easily erupted like a volcano, but he didn't want to look bad in front of Amanda, or her parents. So he replied to Robert in a calm, yet resentful tone.

"Firing me because you don't like the fact that I get along with your niece, hardly makes me a danger to the school; nor does it make me a danger to Amanda. Besides, her parents are fine with me working with their daughter. They are her parents; they don't see me as a threat. And by the way, Amanda is not a small child. She is turning eighteen in a couple of weeks."

"I love Amanda, and my brother and his wife." Robert said. "But I am not as gullible, nor am I as trusting as they are. There are cameras throughout the school, including the classrooms. I reviewed the footage the night of Amanda's accident. She left the school crying right after she finished working with you. But that's not all. There was some strange glitch in the footage from the camera in your classroom; about fifteen minutes of it went dark. And it was soon after that, when Amanda left school upset. That's very interesting. Don't you think?"

"Not really, technical equipment breaks down all the time. Maybe you just need a better IT staff." Mark replied. "But you can ask Amanda yourself; she was upset because she fell asleep and woke up from a nightmare.

Robert furrowed his brow, as if studying him. "Yes, Amanda has had a lot of nightmares lately, especially around the same time you arrived."

Mark chuckled in a condescending manor. "You're just being paranoid headmaster. I think that you are starting to believe the myths and legends that you have studied over the years."

"And you know a lot about them, more than most." Robert replied.

"Maybe I'm just pathetic, like you." Mark spat.

He must have hit a nerve, as Robert's eyes widened while his nostrils flared. Robert practically growled at him. "Let's cut the crap. I don't know how, yet. But you have something to do with every odd thing that has happened in this town; especially every odd thing that pertains to Amanda. And when I do, I will expose you for who you really are. Do not underestimate me, for I am a powerful man. If you are smart, you will accept your termination with grace and leave town; tonight."

"And if I refuse?" Mark inquired.

"Then you will see just what a dangerous and powerful man I can be." Robert answered.

"Are you threatening me?" Mark asked.

"No, Mr. Jacobson. I am promising you." Robert answered. "Now if you will excuse me, my family needs me."

Robert then turned around and headed back into Amanda's room. As much as Mark would have loved to have gotten rid of him, killing Robert would have interfered with his plans. For if he hadn't of concentrated all of his energies on his past adversaries before, he wouldn't have lost his beloved Mer Ek in the first place.

No, as hard as it was going to be, he was going to have to bide his time. Then, when the time was right, they would be together again. And this time he would not be foolish enough to lose her or let her go.

Let him deal with trying to explain why I had to leave. Fine headmaster, I will not give you any trouble; for now. But you will soon learn that I too, am a dangerous and powerful man. You need not concern yourself with exposing me; for it is I that will expose you!