Chapter 19

(I do not own the images to these stories.)

************************************

"You have got to be kidding me!" Robert exclaimed. The accusations hit him as if a brick wall had toppled right on top of him. But as he looked around the room, everyone's face remained cold and stoic.

Karen just shook her head and sighed. "I wish I were. I'm not going to lie and pretend that we have always had a good relationship. And I know that my own petty jealousies were the main cause of that. But the fact that these six girls have come to me, and made these accusations against you, the headmaster; makes me sick to my stomach."

"What accusations?" Robert demanded to know. "Just what sick game are you even playing, Karen? I know that you have always coveted my job, but this is just low; even for you!"

"If I may, Robert." Mr. Penbrook interceded. "No one is playing a sick game. I have read the list of accusations by the six girls that spoke to Ms. Crenshaw. There is a lot of disturbing and elicit details. They all claimed that you touched them inappropriately, while threatening to flunk them out of the academy if they did not comply with your demands. They also claimed that you promised them recommendations to ivy league schools in exchange for sexual favors. I am afraid that the seriousness of this situation warrants swift and immediate action."

Robert couldn't believe what he was hearing. "Before you place my head on the chopping block, just which six students made these horribly outlandish allegations?"

"That is confidential." Karen answered.

"What happened to due process?" Robert asked. "What happened to having the right to face your accuser, or innocent until proven guilty?"

"This is not a court of law." Mr. Penbrook replied. "This is the board of trustees of an elite private school for girls. We don't get federal funding. We rely on private and alumni donations, scholarship programs, and school tuition. If this were to get out, and you remained as headmaster, we would lose a lot of money."

"I see." Robert snapped. "If these girls were poor inner-city kids at a public high school, I wouldn't have to worry about losing my job."

"Don't worry, Robert." Karen quipped. "Eventually you will get the same treatment that a high school principal would get if he were facing the same accusations. The parents of the six girls will likely inform the local authorities of your—infractions towards their teenage daughters. I'm sure that you will get your fair trial in a court of law."

Robert began to seethe with rage as he practically growled at them in response. "And when I am found innocent. Will the board call me back into apologize, and give me my job back?"

"I'm afraid the damage has already been done." Mr. Penbrook informed him. "You have ten minutes to clean out your desk. If you are not off of school grounds by then, I shall have no choice but to inform the police. I have already been in contact with the DA's office. A restraining order will likely be filed against you. You won't be allowed anywhere near this academy."

They all stared him down, as if they were passing judgment on him. But then again, he knew they were. Robert knew that if he said anymore, he would likely tell all of them to just go to hell. That was the last thing he needed. If the DA were to get involved, then his blowing up at them would have made things a lot worse.

"Well, in that case." Robert replied. "I guess that I will go clean out my office."

He said nothing, as he left the room. While walking down the hallway, everyone including teachers and students were just staring at him. Not one of them said a word. Did they know? One thing was for sure, someone was setting him up and he needed to find out who. Was Karen involved or was she just being used? And who were these girls that made the accusations?