Alone on Christmas Eve

I sipped my hot chocolate quietly as the tv hummed in the background. My small plastic tree stood on the glass coffee table next to the usual pile of books and magazines. I had always loved Christmas, the lights, the food, the decoration but spending it alone was no fun feat as I had recently found out. My parents were miles away in another country, my siblings were also traveling, two of my friends had come down with a cold and the others were spending it with their partners leaving me alone for the holiday. 

I didn't mind being alone, in fact I generally enjoy it but at the happiest time of the year. A small ding sounded from my phone, and I tapped the message from Y/F/N. It was a picture of them and their bf/gf laughing with their families. I replied with a smiley emoji and a heart before letting out a sigh. I glanced at the clock which read 9 pm. Most people would be at home, laughing with their family by the fireplace. 

I dragged myself off the couch and threw on my jacket. I walked out of my apartment into the snow-covered street. I pulled my coat closer around me and hurried along the empty roads. Finally, I arrived at my favourite coffee shop. I let out relived sigh as the warm air enveloped my shivering figure. 

The café was empty except for a barista who was sweeping the floor and walked up to the counter upon seeing me. "Y/C/O" I spoke softly. Within five minutes she had handed me a brown take-away cup and I had exited the shop. I walked along the icy path to the park across the road and up to the bridge overlooking the icy lake and leant against the edge staring at the dark ice. The playground which was usually filled with children and dogs now lay abandoned and covered in melted snow.

"Alone on Christmas too?" a young man walked up to me and leant against the bridge. "Yep" I tried to sound cheerful despite my mood. "I'm C/N" the man said holding out a gloved hand. "Y/N" I replied shaking his hand. "So why are you alone?" I asked the man looking at his long coat and dark sweater. "Broke up with my girlfriend about 3 weeks ago" he answered looking at the trees across the bank. "I'm sorry" I sympathised but he waved me off. "What about you" he asked curiously. "They're all either sick or abroad" 

He nodded and went back to staring at the lake. "There's a dry bench over there, if you want to come" he announced after a while pointing along the bank. "That's all right, I wouldn't want to be a bother" I declined. "Nonsense, please" he reaffirmed. I hesitated for a second before following him. The lamp at the bench flickered on and off in the black night. We chatted quietly as the snow continued to fall, the occasional stray cat wondering by. We talked about our family, friends, jobs and more until I felt like I knew him for years.

I checked my phone to see it was exactly midnight. "Merry Christmas" I said softly. C/N glanced at his watch. "Merry Christmas" "I should probably get going" I said standing up slowly. He handed me his phone and I wordlessly put my number in. He smiled at me gently. "For what?" I asked him. "I wasn't looking forward to this Christmas" he said. "But this was quite enjoyable, snow and all" he said nodding at the mounds of snow that had gathered in the time we were talking. "Yeah" I replied. smiling gently. He grinned at me before walking toward the park waving along the way. I started back to my apartment with a foolish smile on my face. I guess a Christmas alone isn't that bad.