2: Dwelling on the Dark

━━━━━━ ༻✦༺ ━━━━━━

━━━━━━ ༻✦༺ ━━━━━━

The scent of magic provoked steam smelt like bliss to Alethea, but that was always how she felt this time of the year. The Beowulf family stood on platform nine and three-quarters, all four siblings loading the train with their things and preparing for departure.

"Everyone's gone through their checklist, right?" Ursa urged her sons more than her daughter.

Kaleb grumbled while Wyatt rolled his eyes, Simon just chuckling behind them. "Yes, Mum, we have everything," Simon assured to keep his brothers from getting too annoyed.

"Oh look," Wyatt chirped suddenly as he looked over his sister's shoulder, "it's Thea's boyfriend."

Both Wyatt and Kaleb broke out into fits of taunts as they waved and grinned to someone behind Alethea. Simon smiled faintly, his eyes narrowing as he scrutinized the person whom his brothers spoke about. Alethea felt warmth beginning to pool on her face and warm her ears. She already knew who they were talking about. She also knew he was quite used to being subjected to her brothers' torment, but she still tried her best to subdue it.

"Shut up," she snarled, swatting at her brothers' arms. "He isn't my boyfriend."

"I hope not," muttered her father behind her.

"Yeah, he hasn't asked us for permission yet," agreed Kaleb with a dignified tone. He pulled himself up to his full height.

"Permission?" scoffed Simon. "In almost four years we've hardly even gotten a proper introduction to him."

"You know who Draco is," snapped his sister to which Simon finally gave a genuine smirk.

"You haven't even looked back to see who we're talking about yet," he bemused. Thea stopped instantly.

"Well obviously," Wyatt jeered, putting an elbow on her shoulder, "she doesn't have to turn around to know who her boyfriend is." Her face suddenly became as red as the train engine they stood beside.

As dim as she liked to make her brothers out to be, it was the trademark of a true Beowulf to be painfully observant. Sometimes, this knack was helpful. Other times, it was just plain annoying.

Alethea was still rather pink when the Malfoys finally came striding up to the family.

"Beowulf, always a pleasure," Lucius greeted Théoden.

"You as well, Malfoy," Théoden spoke politely, his smile forced.

As the parents began to converse, the Beowulf siblings' attention was brought to Draco. "So..." Kaleb drew out. He moved to stand on Draco's left and place an arm around the slighter boy's shoulder.