6: Unwanted Truth

━━━━━━ ༻✦༺ ━━━━━━

━━━━━━ ༻✦༺ ━━━━━━

"What did Hagrid say to us at the very beginning of class? Don't insult a hippogriff. So what is it that you decide to do? Insult a hippogriff. In what world is that logical, Malfoy?"

Thea was currently in the hospital wing with Draco. All the other Slytherins, Pansy, in particular, had reluctantly left under Draco's orders after he had spotted Thea silently bubbling with rage in the corner. He knew she wouldn't snap with people around. However, he also knew that she needed to let out steam for her own sanity.

"I must have really messed up if you're calling me Malfoy," he commented, partly joking in hopes of appeasing her.

"You have no idea," she snarled.

Her tone didn't go unnoticed. "Wait, so you're angry at me for getting hurt?"

"Well of course I'm not angry at you although I bloody well should be," she spat. He was utterly confused because she looked like someone who was quite livid―he was even debating facing the hippogriff again in her place.

She plopped down onto the cot beside him, an exasperated sigh leaving her mouth. "I was angry at first," she sighed. "I was beyond angry actually because you were being such a twit!" She paused to take a breath, trying to calm down again. "Now I'm just glad you're okay."

She reached across the bedding to take Draco's good hand in hers, staring down at his pale fingers as she played with them. Her touch was always warm and comforting to him.

Of course, Draco couldn't stand to let the calm silence be. "It was that oafs fault anyway," Draco muttered.

"Draco," she warned, her icy glare coming back as she snapped her gaze to his. "Do you like it when I yell at you or something?"

His irritated expression softened as he assessed the girl. Her face was slowly growing to hold more and more ire. His lips suddenly twisted upward. He took his hand from hers to rub away the small crease between her eyebrows. "I have to admit, it is kind of cute. Like an angry rabbit."

She pursed her lips, biting the inside of her cheek to restrain her smile. She couldn't do much to control the blushing. "Well, you didn't look very cute when you were crying on the ground."

His smile fell and his eyes dropped away. "Shut up," he hissed. "That stupid beast could have killed me."

"Oh I'm so very sorry to hurt your feelings, you poor baby," she mocked.

He began to glare at her. "I don't need you to make fun of me like Potter!"

She was about to snap right back when his words clicked in her thoughts. She straightened. It was starting to make sense why Draco would be so stupid. "That's what this is about?" she mumbled. Her voice became clearer as she went on, "You insulted a hippogriff because of your rivalry with Potter?"