17: When the Levee Breaks

━━━━━━ ༻✦༺ ━━━━━━

━━━━━━ ༻✦༺ ━━━━━━

The Beowulf children stood on platform nine and three-quarters. There was a heavy chill set in the January air, and most of the other students were hurrying to get on the train, not because they were excited to go back to school but to get into one of the warm carriages.

People stared at the Beowulfs as always but none of them paid it much mind. Ursa was kissing her children goodbye, Théoden giving them pats on the back with mild warnings to behave.

It would have appeared like a normal farewell from the Beowulf family if it wasn't for the eldest. He wasn't as attentive as he normally was. His eyes were distant, almost glazed over as they stared at his parents. None of his siblings acted as if they noticed. They knew not to get involved where they weren't asked to.

"Simon!" a voice called from farther down the platform. He didn't respond at first. "Simon!" they tried again as they got closer. "Simon?"

"Son, don't be rude," their father urged. Simon finally returned to the present. He looked to his father then followed the man's gaze to the person who had been calling his name. It was Aurora, an uncertain smile on her face as she waved towards them.

"Oh, right," he mumbled out as if he suddenly remembered he had a girlfriend. He looked back to his family. "Goodbye."

Before Simon could get away, Théoden placed a heavy hand on his shoulder. "Don't forget what we talked about, okay?"

Simon met his father's gaze and nodded slowly, "Yes, Sir."

"Good man. Now go on, don't keep a pretty girl waiting." Théo released his son with a smile. "We'll see you all for Easter."

All of his children nodded in confirmation.

Simon left his family and joined the girl who was waiting patiently from him. She seemed to lighten up when he got nearer, beginning to bubble with conversation that Simon was only half listening to. She pretended not to notice.

Kaleb took his oldest brother's departure as permission to also leave and find the Weasley clan.

Not far behind Aurora was Cedric Diggory. He didn't keep his distance like Aurora had, even if Wyatt tried to make him.

"We've already said our goodbyes," Wyatt urged, nudging the other boy away. "Let's go find a good seat."

"Mr. Diggory, it's always good to see you," Théoden greeted the Hufflepuff boy with an outstretched hand.

Cedric took it and smiled with his signature pearly whites. "You as well, Mr. Beowulf," he gave an acknowledging smile to Ursa, "Mrs. Beowulf."

"Hello, Cedric," she greeted.