5: Wings and Wards

━━━━━━ ༻✦༺ ━━━━━━

The rain from the day before had cleared, leaving the sky a cloudless grey and the grass damp and spongy. Thea walked with Inez, Cordelia, and Nott towards their first Care of Magical Creatures class, Leona having left lunch early without much explanation.

"Is she skipping?" questioned Inez, glancing around in hopes to catch sight of the curly copper tresses.

Thea let out a long sigh, "I wouldn't put it past her."

"It's the first day though!"

"Worse than that," Cordelia snarled, "she didn't invite us!"

Laughter vibrated out of Thea and Nott as Inez tried to restrain her own smile. "Yes, you're right," said Thea, "how inconsiderate of her."

"And she calls herself our friend," mumbled Nott, shaking his head solemnly.

"You don't think that grim thing has anything to do with Sirius Black, do you?"

Thea stopped dead in her tracks. She looked back leaving her friends to stutter to a stop a few steps below her.

"Thea, what's wrong?" Cordelia's voice was faint in her ears.

Alethea stared with a lack of any consideration as Harry Potter and his two best friends came trotting down the steps right behind them. At first, she wondered why on earth they'd be talking about Sirius Black and then she remembered what her father had told them. "The reason Sirius escaped, they believe, is to find Harry Potter. Potter, after all, is the reason his master disappeared."

Of course Potter would have an interest in Black, it would only be natural. Her brothers had to have talked to him by now. He was their precious Gryffindor, golden boy. What reason would they have to keep him in the dark? It was his life on the line after all.

She knew she shouldn't pry. Théoden had personally asked them all not to get involved. However, if anyone should know the worst way to keep her from wanting to know something, was by telling her she couldn't know it, then that should be her father. There wasn't any real harm in it anyway. She wasn't trying to find Black; she just wanted to know more about him.

"Go on without me," Thea said to her friends. They all shared odd looks. Thea, while more than once forced into the Weasley Clan by her brothers or father, was never one to actively seek it — not anymore. Nevertheless, Inez hooked her arm around Cordelia's and then Nott's and silently went down the steps ahead of her.

Once she saw they were out of earshot, Thea turned back to the Gryffindor trio. "Hey, Granger," Thea chirped, friendly enough. "I have a quick question about Ancient Runes?"

The trio paused upon seeing the girl. Their eyes were each wide and alarmed.

Alethea and the golden trio had a precarious relationship. There was the obvious house rivalry between them, and then of course the bitter rivalry between Draco and Potter, but there was also her brothers. For the last two summers, Thea had been forced to spend a day nearly every other week at the Weasley house with her brothers in order to "make more friends" but, thankfully, little talking was done while they spent the day playing Quidditch in the paddock. When they did get on the ground, Thea usually opted to talk to the twins or little Ginny rather than anyone else. And, outside of their summer exploits, Thea and the members of the trio were not usually chatting buddies. Still, Thea's curiosity was endless.