13: Mrs. Beowulf

━━━━━━ ༻✦༺ ━━━━━━

━━━━━━ ༻✦༺ ━━━━━━

Harry Potter's mishap and the dementors on the school grounds were all anyone could talk about for the rest of the weekend. Though no one spoke about it in front of her, Thea had the feeling they were also discussing her brother's outburst. It seemed that no one, including Thea, could figure out why the dementors had listened to him or why Dumbledore had known they would.

Thea was split between confronting her brother about it and ignoring the fact it had ever happened.  It appeared Simon had chosen the latter for himself. Anyone brave enough to ask questions received one of his famous smiles and the nicest equivalent to 'mind your own business' he could muster. Eventually, they began to give up.

With all of this going on, Thea didn't bother to mention seeing the grim. She had read enough to know what it meant and that there was nothing anyone could do about it. Not that there appeared to be any point in worrying about it anyway. In the three times she had seen it — during her hippogriff ride, in her dreams, and now in the courtyard — nothing life threatening had happened to her. It was as if Death was simply playing a prank on her and Thea knew better than to answer to its taunts.

"Professor Lupin can't still be ill, right?" Inez urged as they made their way to the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom.

"If he is then I'm skiving off," Leona declared. "It's not like Snape will take points from his own house anyway."

"But he'll probably make you clean his whole classroom with a toothbrush," said Cordelia.

Leona pursed her lips. "I'm not sure which is worse..."

The other three girls giggled.

"Looks like you won't have to make a decision," Thea announced.

Professor Lupin was back at work. It appeared that he really had been sick. He was much thinner and paler than they had seen him last. Still, he smiled when they entered the room.

"Good morning girls," he greeted. They were some of the first to class.

"Professor, thank Merlin you're back," Leona spoke without shame. "Having Snape for Potions is bad enough."

"Really?" Lupin asked looking genuinely surprised. "I would have thought... Well, I suppose I shouldn't assume. I'm flattered."

Thea knew what the professor was thinking. He assumed that every Slytherin would prefer their head of house as their teacher but he clearly had a lot to learn.

"So, how's Draco?" Leona enquired once the professor had turned away. She wasn't looking at Thea, her eyes on her desk as she ran her hand over her quill.