11: Sisterly Insight

━━━━━━ ༻✦༺ ━━━━━━

Thea had wandered out into the courtyard of her family's estate, trying to get away from the suffocating amount of company inside her house.

She leaned against the porch railing, eyes loosely focused on the fountain at the center of the yard. The full moon's light danced over the falling waters making it appear as if the basin was full of diamonds. It was a sight she was familiar with. However, she was not as familiar with the distinct sensation of dread which filled her stomach.

Thea took her focus away from the water to look at the darkling forest behind it. At first, she thought it was a dementor staring back at her, but the shape was not that of a cloaked figure. It was canine in form. Its outline was hazy — like it was made of smoke. The only certain part of its whole body was the scarlet eyes that the moonlight caught just as brilliantly as the water.

The doors behind her opened. Thea instantly spun around, the spectral dog vanishing from her thoughts the moment she saw her father standing before her. She gave him a weary smile, her chest feeling strangely heavy. It was as if there was a weight sitting on top of her ribcage.

"I'm very disappointed in you, Alethea," he spoke carefully, his voice wavering as he stared at her with a stern expression. She couldn't help but notice that there was a flicker of distress in his eyes and it instantly put her on edge.

"What? Why?" she questioned.

He took a single, large stride towards her. His face had suddenly become contorted with fury. Thea kept an unconsciously wary eye on his trembling fists, flinching when he raised one to point a finger at her. "You killed those people, Alethea?"

"What?"

"Twelve muggles and a wizard," he hissed.

She wanted to respond but she no longer had a voice. She stared at him with wide eyes as guilt flooded her system. Although she hadn't been aware of the memory before, it all seemed to pour back into her head in flashes. Each was from a different perspective than her own.

There she stood, Alethea, dressed head to toe in black leather, her Slytherin robes hanging off her shoulders as she laughed at the carnage around her. She had killed them, she had killed them all, and it had been fun for her. Her eyes snapped to where Thea's viewpoint was and she began to stagger forward as she cackled. It was then that Thea realized her view was from one of the victims who reached up and was begging for mercy, mercy that the laughing Thea wouldn't give.

Thea focused back on her father who still held the same enraged expression. "Get out of here," he growled. "Get out of here before they figure out it was you, and never come back. You aren't a part of this family anymore."

She opened her mouth to try to beg for forgiveness but he wouldn't allow it. "Go!"

Thea hesitated a moment longer, not sure what exactly to believe. She couldn't collect her thoughts. She didn't have control of her actions. She spun away and began to run. Forgetting everything behind her, forgetting everything she had, and forgetting everything she was. She had killed people and that's all she knew.