9: Slice of Slytherins

━━━━━━ ༻✦༺ ━━━━━━

Thea stayed as far away as possible from Draco Malfoy for over two weeks — not an easy feat when they had identical schedules, something they'd planned for before the year began.

At first, Draco did everything he could to speak to her. After about three days, however, he had succumbed to his own mulishness and avoided her just the same. It had become a battle of pride — something both parties had plenty of.

It was the dawning of the third weekend of their feud. The girls had decided it was finally time to start getting completely settled into their dorm. Inez hung up posters of her favorite 70's bands and piled up her collection of books on top of her trunk, Cordelia laid out her various knickknacks and crystals on her nightstand, hanging pendulums and beads around the canopy of her bed; meanwhile, Alethea's area had become a picture of classical antiquity, spotted with white marble and pink silk. Even Nott was with them, lying on Cordelia's bed doing little to help as he played with Inez's tabby cat, Mac. Only one person was missing.

"Where did Leona go?" inquired Inez, glancing towards the door as if it would fly open to reveal the redhead

"I think she said the library," Thea answered.

"Again?" Nott asked. "She's been in the library a lot the last week." He sighed and let his head fall back onto the bed. Mac didn't appreciate this, clawing at his hand to get him to continue waving it over his face. "I keep catching her leaving the common room and she always says she's going to the library."

"Maybe she likes reading?" suggested Thea.

Cordelia snorted. "I thought you were the observant one, Beowulf."

Thea shot her a playful, narrow-eyed glare.

"We could be rubbing off on her," Inez interjected before earning a high five from Thea.

Nott began to chuckle and Cordelia rolled her eyes. "I hope not," she muttered, "you'll get the idea you can rub off on me."

"Ha," Thea scoffed, "I'm not that optimistic."

"I knew you were smart."

Thea tried to look annoyed but she could only join the others as they laughed.

The group of Slytherins continued decorating throughout the morning, their banter never ceasing and their sarcasm reaching new levels, even for them. It was usually, "Can you hand me that," which would be answered with, "I could," without the other person producing the faintest sign of actually making a move for the object. There were a few, "Does that look okay?" with responses of, "Is it supposed to be able to look back at you?" and, "I really don't want things watching me change." Along with the ever so classic, "I could use a hand," before the room would fill with clapping. All of this, of course, could have easily been avoided by putting up their things with magic. However, Inez had previously made a bet with her pure and half-blooded friends that they couldn't manage to do normal activities without magic. To which she was winning.