02

Alex nearly choked on her cappuccino. "You're kidding me right now," she shouted. "Wait until I tell Marcel. I won't say, I always knew there was something wrong with your family, but the marriage arrangement? Do we live in some soap opera? Say this is some kind of unfunny joke. I beg you."

I sighed, realizing that there was no way to sugarcoat it. "Trust me, I wish it was a joke. Alex, look, I have no choice. If I do not agree, my mother will not want anything to do with me, the company will go into completely foreign hands. And if I undertake it, I will at least have an overview of what is happening and a fifth of the profits."

"Sorry, Naomi, but what kind of mother is this!? She blackmails you into marrying a complete stranger! I am begging you, please do not agree to this..." Alex's voice was filled with genuine concern.

I shook my head, my resolve firm. "I will not repeat myself, besides, I can always get a divorce, at most I will struggle for a few years with him. You heard, I also told you a moment ago that I even have a dress, you didn't react."

"I heard the part where you say you have a dress, yeah," Alex replied, leaning forward with a serious expression. "If it weren't for the fact that you are marrying a strange man in three days, I would have whopped your ass for not going to choose it with me."

Alex is my good friend, and we had known each other for two years now. We had met through Marcel, my personal trainer. She was a force to be reckoned with, fiercely protective at times, and a lot more confident than I was.

She couldn't believe I was getting married. She wasn't the only one. The bride-to-be herself had more than a little problem with the situation.

"Okay, if you want to marry a stranger to you, okay, your choice," Alex finally said, leaning back with a grin. "But know that if he shows even a hint of being anything like your ex-boyfriend, whose name cannot be pronounced in my company, I won't give a damn whether you lose millions or the last remnant of your mother's respect. I'll step into action and arrange a lawyer for an immediate divorce, dear friend."

I couldn't help but chuckle at her fierce protectiveness. "Of course, ma'am."

 "But wait Naomi, imagine if he turns out to be Ryan Gosling? Then maybe this whole arranged marriage thing might have a silver lining. At least we'll get to meet the dreamiest man in real life!"

Her words made me smile despite the heavy weight of the situation. "You never know, Alex. Maybe he's secretly a Hollywood heartthrob, and I'll be living a real-life romance movie."

She grinned, her mischievous eyes twinkling. "Oh, the Notebook 2, but with more parts of fucking in it."

We both burst into laughter, the absurdity of it all momentarily lifting the tension that had settled in my chest. It was exactly what I needed—a friend who could bring a smile to my face even in the most challenging times.

As we continued our playful banter, Alex leaned in closer, her voice filled with genuine concern. "But in all seriousness, Naomi, you know I'm here for you, right? No matter what happens, I've got your back. We'll get through this together."

Her words touched my heart, and I felt a surge of gratitude for having a friend like Alex. "Thank you, Alex. I don't know what I'd do without you."

She winked and gave my hand a reassuring squeeze. "Well, you'd probably be wandering around, looking for Ryan Gosling in a wedding dress. But don't worry, I've got a feeling we'll figure this shit out. In the worst scenerio i'm gonna help you kill him- i mean your future hubby, not Ryan Gosling." 

"Okay, I'll keep it in mind. I'm getting out of here, I'm going to meet my future spouse," I muttered, slowly getting up from the table in our favorite cafe.