09

"Rufus, I am begging you, I saw that you were cheating."

"My dear, you didn't see anything. BINGO BINGO BINGO!" He yells and continues to say he has won this round. He did not win.

"You stupid senile, you heard Naomi, you cheat, you didn't win. For bloody hell, don't you even dare reach for the winner's prize."

"I am an senile? Says who? Granny, you better go dye your hair because your gray hair is sticking out again." Rufus definitely took offense at Nelle's words, they always argue like an old couple. I adore them.

"At least I have hair, you bald pric-"

"We keep playing! Rufus, you are waiting for the next round. Let's play fair and square, no room for cheating in our club." I broke this argument quickly, the rest of the group chuckling softly at the little quarrel between Rufus and Nell.

As Rufus and Nell bantered over their Bingo win, I couldn't help but smile. Their arguments and playful exchanges were a constant source of amusement for me and the rest of the group at the retirement home. The tension between them was palpable, and while they claimed to dislike each other, I had a feeling there was more to their relationship than met the eye.

The group shared a soft chuckle at their ongoing quarrel, but it was clear that Rufus and Nell's bickering was all in good fun. They may have claimed to hate each other, but their actions spoke otherwise, and I adored watching their interactions.

Volunteering at the retirement home had become a cherished part of my routine. Whether it was playing games, or simply spending time with the residents, I felt a genuine connection with these older folks.

Every now and then, I go to the seniors club, we are at the retirement home. It is so pastel here, or more precisely pink, that it feels like in a candy. Some time ago I signed up for volunteering and I spend an amazing time here. Jesus, I play games with pensioners - I'm literally like an old grandmother.

Our activities varied from day to day, but one thing remained constant—my commitment to brightening their days. We played board games, strolled through the park, recited poetry, and sometimes just reminisced about the past while sharing stories about some of the more challenging nurses.

During Bingo games like these, the two old people, Rufus and Nell, were always at the center of attention. Their playful rivalry added a dose of humor and excitement to our afternoons. Nell would often come out victorious, and she had developed a reputation for choosing my baked goods as her prizes, which she graciously shared with the group.

They say they don't like each other, but they always eat lunch together, and of course, they always run into each other 'by accident' on walks in the park. Who are they trying to fool?

Since from my young age, my main friends were the elderly - Oscar and Anastasia, sometimes it is easier for me to connect with such older people. And here in the retirement home there are so many wonderful people that my time flies fast by with them.

"Okay guys. 12,31,22,.." I started listing the numbers again, and the rest of the group were happy to come back to the game.

After a few moments, Nell stood up and shouted "BINGO!" then she turned towards Rufus, seated a few places from her, stuck out her tongue and tossed a board with numbers at him proudly.

"Give me the rewards, quick quick, Nell can't wait long."

"Okay, what does lovely Nell want? We have a blue lagoon bath set, a sewing kit with gorgeous flower buttons, a Shakespeare book set, or banana bread made by me." I spoke calmly, showing and presenting everything in sequence.