Chapter 29: Stay

"Hey, man. Woah...what's all this fancy shit? What are you cooking?"

"Pasta," I respond to Mase without looking up from the onions I'm cutting.

"I thought you were just going to prepare some hamburgers. Or something simpler..." He trails off, and I finally look up at him, noticing the confused expression in his features.

I purposely may or may have not told the guys that Josephine is going to have dinner with us so they can meet her for the first time. I keep justifying myself with the excuse that it is better this way because then they would make a big deal out of this dinner, when really...it is just dinner.

Surprisingly, I'm not really worried about my mates not liking Jo, I'm sure they will. Instead, what overthinking has reared its ugly head on me is what they may say to Josephine. What if they're rude as to be protective of me, or they make her uncomfortable somehow?

I try focusing on not burning the food but these thoughts seem unable to leave me alone, and in less than fifteen minutes Jo will arrive. God, I need to rush up.

Absentmindedly, I note some murmuring by the other side of the room. It's Felix and Mason. I don't think they have ever realized how good my hearing is, though not good enough as to catch what they're saying.

This time, however, I don't try to eavesdrop further because time is running off. I'm praying that Jo likes my bolognese pasta, it's been quite some time since I prepared it last because it's a lot of work, but it may be the best plate I know how to cook.

It doesn't take much for the pasta to cook and I'm soon turning off the stove. Before serving it, I notice Mase and Felix still lingering in the room. "Oi, can you guys help me set up the table?"

"What do you mean setting up?" Asks Mason. "We don't care for that shit if it's just us...wait it's just us four...right?" He looks up for reassurance and I hesitate before confessing what's going on.

"Us four and...Josephine," I say.

"Josephine? What Jose-" Mason starts to wonder when Felix bumps his elbow into Mase's ribs discreetly, but I notice, and the realization hits him. "Ohh, your Josephine. We finally gonna meet her?"

"Yup," I respond, feigning my focus is on the food when in reality I'm trying to avoid reading into Felix's reactions. Where Mason is nonchalant and let-things-flow kind of guy, Felix is the exact opposite. I'm sure who's not happy with the lack of warning.

I only get to confirm it when Felix goes set up the table, avoids my eyes, and then walks straight into Dan's room.

I try not to dwell on it as I leave the plates ready to eat and add a fifth seat, next to mine, in our small round table. We'll have to squeeze us in a bit but I think it'll do.

Not long after my phone pings with a text message.

From Josephine: Just parked.

Everything will go well, I try to convince myself. It has to.

I take a deep breath before letting my mates know. "Guys! She's here."

That makes Mason move to take a seat at the table. Not a minute after, Felix and Dan exit the latter's room and each takes their usual seat next to Mason.

I nod to them and then walk towards the door before hesitating a bit and deciding it's better to leave things clear.

Standing in front of the table, I start, "Okay, guys. She really means a lot to me so please, don't embarrass her, don't make her uncomfortable or anything close to. Don't make any comment that would slightly risk her wanting to go away. Tell me that's understood."