Chapter 38: First Strike

There's a sizzling fuzzy feeling swirling in my gut as I slowly open my eyes and regain conscious of my surroundings. Something heavy keeps me bound around my waist, and a warm body rests against my back.

I look down, realizing the weight is Hero's arm hugging me to him. Slowly, as to avoid waking him up, I turn to face him, feeling the rough fabric of the rug under my exposed skin. It brings me back to the memories of the night before, how good Hero made it for me.

And his handsomeness hitches my breath for a second. I can't resist the urge to bring my hand to the side of his face and brush his cheek with my thumb.

"I love you," the words fall without a thought, in a breath below a whisper.

I knew them to be true in my heart already, but it's totally different to say them out in the open, even if Hero didn't hear them.

I refugee from the cold bringing our bodies closer. I could go and get some blanket to throw it over us, but in all honesty, I really don't want to move from here.

I'm going over things I need to do before next week's race and what I still need to buy for the apartment when I feel Hero's chest moving under my head.

Lifting my head to look up at him, I don't repair on the fact that he would see me first thing looking at him like a creep. It is okay, though, because when his lashes flutter open, Hero greets me with a full-blown smile.

"Good morning, sweetheart" he says in a raspy voice, groggy with sleep. He runs a hand through his hair, making it more of a mess than it already is.

God, I love waking up with him like this. "Morning," I smile. "Did you sleep well?"

"Mhm," he nods, tightening his arms around me. "I think I want some breakfast now," he states with a dashing smirk.

The look in his eyes tells me everything I need to know to see already what's gearing through in his dirty mind. Not happening. I tell him exactly that with a roll of my eyes.

Before my brain catches up with what's happening, Hero has our bodies turning. His now hovers over mine. His lips find mine in an intoxicating kiss, right before I detach my mouth from his and roll my head to make him chase me for it.

His body falls on top of me so his hands can grab hold of my face and keep in place for him. His lips catch mine again and I can't help but laugh as we keep kissing.

He stops for a second to say, "You're so annoying."

"I'm so funny," I reply and he groans. I only laugh louder.

We only involuntarily stop when one of our phones starts ringing.

"Ugh, I think it's mine," Hero says before his lips return to mine.

"You should answer, maybe is one of your friends wanting to know you're okay."

"Later, now I'm kind of busy," he says gliding his hand up my thigh. And again, I can't help but tremble even as I will my body not to.

His phone starts ringing again and I insist him to answer it.

"Fine," he relents and searches for it around the room. I miss his body warmth as he stands up, but I get up to make some breakfast for us and put on some clothes as well.

"How weird, it's Mercy calling." Hero says and I shrug. He answers anyway and I go to the kitchen.

A white thing on the floor catches my attention as I walk out of the room.

On a closer glance I realize it's a paper envelope. That's odd.

I don't have much people in my life, I would say 80% percent of them don't even know I moved. Certainly my parents aren't part of the minimal 20%.