Chapter 31: Rare Bliss

I take a moment to glance into the sky; it feels like time has fled today. The sun is still up, but I imagine it won't drop until 6 or 7 p.m. Gazing at my surroundings, I see people is still as energized as they were when we first arrived- except for Mason who seems knocked out on the chair we left him, with a new girl beside him who is caressing his head.

A few have remained in the pool, but most are dancing around the space. I spot Felix with the same guys he introduced us to earlier next to a group of girls. I think some of them were playing volleyball with us. I try craning my neck to find some trace of Dan but come up with nothing.

Instead, I spot another familiar figure walking towards me. Hero. I try hard not to smile as I gawk at him, admiring how the sunlight illuminates his handsome features and how tall he seems from my point of view in the pool.

He's got his towel wrapped around him and my bag strapped to his shoulder. "Do you wanna stay longer in the pool?" Hero asks once he reaches me.

"Nono, it's getting a little cold. Plus, you should go spend time with your friends, too."

He shrugs, "We'll go find them later. Can I open your bag?"

"Yeah, of course. My towel is in the biggest compartment. It's a blue one."

"Found it," he extends his arms with the towel in hand, and I start exiting the pool. He surprises me by wrapping me inside the towel, his arms staying around me. And as look up to him from behind, I soak in all of his warmth.

We're interrupted by a set of hollers by our side. And Hero tugs me closer into the opposite side as we watch the cause of the commotion. Some guy is being carried into the pool by a group of boys.

We glance at each other and immediately start laughing at the scene while his arm around me keeps me safely tucked into his side.

Another boy is soon lifted into the sky, however, he's wearing normal clothes instead of swimwear shorts. And that's when I recognize the resemblance in his face.

"Oh, this shit's getting good! Dan is gonna be so pissed!" Hero exclaims, letting an animated laughter rumble straight from his chest. I can't help but join him.

None of those guys hesitate on throwing Dan into the pool even as he trashes from their hold.

A crowd is forming around us. Felix walks up to us, still laughing uncontrollably as he regards Dan.

"I can't believe these fuckers went through with it. Those two," Felix says signaling to Dan and the other guy, "lost a bet while drinking, that's why they were thrown into the pool."

Just then, Dan joins us too, shaking off the water in his hair and splashing us. Hero and Felix, on their part, can't stop themselves from glancing at him once and throw their heads back laughing.

"Here, bro. You must be freezing your arse off," Hero says after he manages to calm himself down, offering Dan his towel.

He accepts it and goes to respond with something else, but some guy behind him interrupts us, "Yo Felix! Your turn is up now, bro!"

A group of three other boys appear behind Felix and carry him fair easily, two holding his upper body and a third guy, his legs.

Felix trashes and screams in refusal, but none of them let go, "I lost no bet! You assholes, I swear if you throw me-" He doesn't get to finish his sentence as his body falls into the water. One of the guys that was carrying Felix is thrown inside too, and soon, a whole battle of throwing people into the pool starts.

The girl who was seated next to Mason earlier is taken by surprise and carried into the pool. It is all turning into a big mess.

"Hey," Dan nudges Hero with his arm. "Should we throw Mason? To get him to wake up," he smirks mischievously, and in response, a grin just as wicked lights up Hero's face. They're gonna do it.