Chapter 34 - Part I

"Come in," I say to Jo in a hushed breath, tip-toeing our steps so we don't disturb any of my mates.

When the first swirls of a lightened blue came into sight across the sky, we knew it was time to leave. It was only then that we first checked the time and realized it was almost 5 a.m., and I suggested we go back to my place to rest at least some hours.

When we get to my room, I scurry to order the few scattered things I left hanging around. "Sorry, I usually I'm more organized, I promise." I glance at Jo with an apologetic smile, but she doesn't seem to mind much.

"So, this is your room," she states, looking around the space. Walking to the nightstand next to my bed, Jo picks up one of the two picture frames I have. It shows a photo of my family and me.

"That's your sister, right? And these both are your parents?" Jo asks, curiosity laced in her tone.

I near her, my chest a whisper behind her back. "Yeah, it was taken a few months back, during a trip-day to the beach." That day was one of the few good ones I can remember from the last two years. But I keep the latter knowledge to myself because there'll be time to talk about that later.

"I can see the resemblance with your sister."

I let out a low chuckle, "When you two meet, don't tell her that. For some reason, she hates that."

Jo's gaze remains glued to the picture, wearing an expression I can't quite read well. "Jo?"

Her eyes flicker to mine, like being startled by my voice. "Huh? Oh yeah, I'll-I'll keep that in mind," she says slowly, leaving the frame back in its place.

She whips around to face me, "Let's get some rest for a bit."

With my hand closest to the bed, I take the comforter off and signal Jo to lay herself down. She takes off her shoes before doing so, and I wait until she's comfortable to tuck her in. Walking to the other side of the bed, I lay down next to her. Her eyes follow my every move until I'm close enough for her to place her hand on the back of my head.

My eyes close themselves for a second, reveling in her touch. And I circle her waist with my arm, pulling her body closer to me.

Our breathing is the only audible thing at the moment. And her eyes close, trying to make slumber pull her in. I just stay there, watching her as her eyes flutter close, her breathing deepening.

It startles me when she suddenly speaks up, "You're supposed to sleep too."

"I just...can't," I respond, my voice beneath a whisper. "You look so...gorgeous, I can't oblige my eyes to close themselves."

"So, you'll just watch me sleep, stalker?" She asks playfully, but tiredness is clear in her tone.

"I'll sleep to the sight of you," I promise.

True to my word, I keep staring at her, my gaze tracing each of her delicate features, the shape of her eyes, her nose trailing down to her slightly parted lips. I restrain myself from the urge to glide my thumb across the softness of her lips because I don't want to wake her up.

Until I can't remember exactly when or how sleep finally pulled me under while gazing at Josephine.