Chapter 44: Amidst the fog

Years came and went, but my rage never waned...

I can't count the times I've imagined this moment. The moment we finally met again, Jolly-Jo.

I imagined it everything. Down to the littlest, tiniest detail, you know?

From the things I'd say to you, how confusion would cross your expression...

But most importantly, how I would savor it all. Your pain. Your distress. Your suffering.

Savor the knowledge that I was the one who made your world shake down and collapse into shambles.

You should have better been kissing your little boyfriend until the sky plummeted down on your shoulders...

It had to be you the lucky one, didn't it sister?

Not anymore... I promised myself that if I had no luck to be found on me, then I'd become my own lucky charm.

And look at how the tables turned. Tonight, I'm the one wishing you good luck...

It's enough for me to know you'll live haunted the rest of your life...knowing there's a chunk of your life missing from your memory, and you have no recollection of the why.

Tonight, I choose to forget and find closure for once and for all...

Goodbye Josephine.

The words echo inside my head, distant but at the same time so close I could touch them if only I could lift up the woozy veil of my memory.

Darkness surrounds me.

Silence rings in my ears.

Except for the only sounds bouncing through the space, my choppy breathing and cars revving up to their maximum speed.

That's how I know time hasn't stopped. Even though it feels like my body has.

Every few seconds, I can hear the screech of a car's wheels flying by my side.

But on the inside, up in my head, it is everything but silent. the words -those words- are on an endless replay.

I blink. The few lights illuminating the lane become blurrier by the second, their twinkling swaying right to left.

Trying to shake my head, I...can't. I move it, I know I try to, but nothing...moves.

If those lights were turned off, everything would be pitch black. Except for the now sporadic car lights. There's almost no difference if I close my eyes or keep them open.

There's a faraway voice calling for me, thin and carried away by the wind. Unlike the voice I'd give up the sun if I could to hear in this moment.

Josephine!

There it is again. It's getting closer and louder. Is this inside my head?

Josephine! Where are you?

It's the darkness, and maybe even how my brain only catches up minutes after, that stops me from recognizing the silhouette of someone approaching my car.

Josephine?

There's the voice, knocking on my window.

She gasps, and opens the door with force. There's now a while light blinding me. No.

I want back into the darkness.

"Oh my God! Josephine! James! Come here, now!" Her voice is so loud, yet it feels so distant.