The Scores

The private session
Today we have our private session with the gamemakers and I'm not ready for it. I'm sitting by Luke waiting for my name to be called.

"Hey you'll be fine," Luke whispers in my ear; sensing my nerves.

I look at him and give him a small smile which he returns.

"Annie Cresta District 4!" My name gets called and I stand up and walk through the doors. They close behind me and the gamemakers look bored.

I see a trident and walk over to it. I pick it up and start slashing at dummies.

After a minute of doing that I start making a net and preparing a trap.

"You may leave now," the head game maker says when I finish making the net. They look bored when I walk out.

I go straight to the fourth floor and go straight to my room not bothering to say hi to Finnick, Mags, and Aria.

I shut my door and lay on my bed and cry. I hear footsteps but don't think anything of it until my door opens.

"Annie?" I hear the familiar voice of Finnick.

"What happened?" He asks me.

"They didn't like me! They looked bored after I left! Finnick I'm not going to have any sponsors!" I tell him with tears rolling down my cheeks.

"Annie you will be coming out of the arena alive...with or without sponsors," he tells me. He sounds so determined.

"And we still haven't seen your score yet," he tells me.

Time for the scores
We all sit in the living room. Me, Finnick, Mags, Luke, and our prep teams and stylists. I'm sitting beside Finnick; holding his hand.

Caesar Flickerman appears on the screen and starts talking.

The girl from 1, Izzy, gets a 9.

The boy from 1, Jack, gets a 9.

The girl from 2, Trin, gets a 10.

The boy from 2, Alec, gets a 9.

I don't pay attention until I hear my name.

"Annie Cresta with a score of 5!" Caeser Flickerman says. I feel Finnick's hand tighten on mine.

"Luke Carter with a score of 10!" Caeser says. Everyone starts cheering.

"Congrats Luke," I tell him and stand up and go back to my room. I shut the door; making sure to lock it. I lay on my bed and cry.

I'm never going to go back to district 4! I'll never see the water crash against the sand again! I'll never hear the waves or smell the cool air again!
I'll never see my mom and my dad again!

The tears cloud my vision. I'm going to die in that arena!