Chapter 2

Millie

Millie

The lunch bell rings, I gather all my books and pens before retreating from the room. I'm already ready for this day to be over. Sighing, I head to my locker to trade some textbooks and meet Tillie. After spotting Tillie's dark red curls falling from her messy ponytail, I wave at her before pulling her delicate frame into a hug. I can't fight the urge to tell her about my encounter with Bailey, so I tell her everything.

"Wait, are serious?" Tillie's voice drops to a whisper, the corners of her mouth tug down as her eyebrows lift.

"I wish I was..." I sigh while chewing on my bottom lip nervously and hugging my textbooks to my chest. We make our way to the cafeteria. Slowly, I push through the doors, fully aware of the odd stares as I wind my way through the tables. I look around the cafeteria, watching all the students, walking back and forth with trays, some of them are already eating and talking in small cliques.

She isn't here.

"She really asked you to come to her place, tomorrow ? Are we talking about the same Bailey Steele?" My best friend asks, taking a seat on one of the tables. I follow her, heading to my chair before pulling it out and taking a seat.

"Yep! I should've refused...huh, I don't know what to do." I state while rubbing a tense spot between my brows and sinking further into the seat. My best friend sucks in a sharp breath before opening and closing her mouth a few times, searching for some way to respond to my situation.

"You can do it, Millie! For the love of God, Millie! You'll be entering the house of the family who owns this town...you're gonna be a legend!" Tillie finally says with a humour-filled voice, her eyes glimmering with excitement. A soft laugh puffs out of me as I fish my sandwich out of my bag.

"Oh my god! I feel so privileged!" I giggle before swallowing a mouthful of sandwich. My best friend coughs out a laugh. Suddenly, all humour vanishes from her face as she flicks her gaze over my shoulder.

"Speak of the devil..." Tillie mutters while folding her arms across her chest. Something urges me to turn back around.

Beyond curious, I spin around, following her line of sight. My heart starts pounding against my ribs when my eyes land on Bailey. My stomach flips like a rollercoaster as I watch Bailey and Blake step into the cafeteria, silencing everyone. The atmosphere shifts the very second they walk in. Heat flashes across my skin, and suddenly I'm too hot. Bailey and Blake stride over to their table, joining the basketball and cheerleading teams. Whispers from the students rise as they stare at them in awe. 

"Imagine the power they would hold if they started dating each other." My friend says in a whisper, pulling me out of my thoughts. Swallowing the knot in my throat, I turn my attention back to her while biting down on my lip. Tillie is right. Bailey and Blake would probably be perfect for each other. They're both filthy rich, untouchable, our town's favorite sons.