Chapter 5

Millie

Millie

"So, Blake texted you?" I deadpan, tilting my face to look at Tillie, as she pulls us into the private student parking of Huxley High.

"Yeah! I still can't believe it! I don't even know how he got my phone number..." My friend replies with a huge smile plastered on her face, the strong rumble of her Mercedes G-Class purs beneath us.

"I think we both know that Blake can have anything he wants." I voice my thoughts as Tillie cuts the engine, pink blush stains her cheeks.

"You're right but receiving his text in the middle of the night was so unexpected! He wants to work on the assignment after school..." My best friend explains in a breath, flicking her seatbelt off.

"Today after school?" I repeat her words as we both hop out of her car and head toward the school entrance.

"Yes! I'm sorry but can we go shopping this weekend instead?" She expels a sigh before glancing around the crowded parking lot.

"It's okay, Tillie. I understand! Don't you dare feeling bad!" I whisper-yell menacingly, while pointing my finger at her. She cocks her head to the side, a smile tugging at her lips.

"And you will finally have the opportunity to spend some time with Blake Jensen!" I tease her in a playful tone and she erupts into laughter, her cheeks turning bright pink.

"I know but I'm realistic. Guys like Blake don't like boring, ordinary girls like me. They prefer...girls like Bailey Steele." She breathes out, her voice dropping to a whisper, and a look of sadness flashes across her face. I flinch involuntarily at her words, my heart freezing in my chest.

"Don't say that, Tillie! Look at you! You're beautiful inside and out. If Blake is too dumb not to see it, then he doesn't deserve you." I snap, stopping in my tracks and glaring at her through narrowed slits. Keeping her head low, she sighs, before tucking her hair behind her ear and lifting her gaze to lock her eyes onto mine.

"You're making me soft but that's why you're my precious bestie! Now, let's stop talking about me and tell me how was your night with the Queen Bee! I need all the details!" She says, throwing me a playful wink, as we reach her locker. My heart flutters and flashes of last night pop into my head. Shame courses through me when I think about the way I touched myself while thinking about Bailey. Shaking my head, I push those embarrassing memories aside and lean against the locker next to hers, studying my nails.

"Nothing happened...I mean, we worked on the assignment, and then she gave me a ride home." I grumble under breath as I watch her fumble with her locker combination, disappointment illuminating her features.

"Wait, that's all? Please, don't tell me that's the only thing that happened with her last night?" She chuckles, turning to face me and flinging her red curls to one shoulder. Then, Tillie jerks her locker open and starts retrieving some books.